Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Suggestion for new K5 setup

HI All,
I want to buy K5 next month. I'm interested in portrait, street photo and wedding.
I just want to ask you guys between this 2 setting or you can advise me for another lens/setting

PENTAX DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL WR lens
PENTAX FA 50mm F1.4
METZ MECABLITZ 58 AF-2 FLASH

PENTAX DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL WR lens
PENTAX DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM
METZ MECABLITZ 58 AF-2 FLASH

do i need to buy tripod too?

Thanks

01-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

#2 if you have the budget, #1 if you don't. Tripod, yes. BTW have you shot weddings before? You may want something like the Tamron 17-50/2.8 for such. Cheers!
01-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #3

My wedding setup includes a 28mm prime lens (f2.8) that I use for most of my shots. It is a manual focus lens and I prefocus the isle shots and wait until the wedding party comes into focus before I take the photo. Ten feet works well for these shots. I use a Sunpak 544 flash (mounted on an L-bracket to eliminate red-eye) with the 28mm lens. That flash is no longer available but others like it are. If possible, I bounce the flash off a ceiling and I set my flash and the lens for f4 so the shots are not too powerful with ISO set to 200. My flash is automatic, but not dedicated. I have not found a need to have a dedicated Pentax compatible flash, but it would be nice and if I were buying another one today I would get one.

I also use a 28-80mm zoom mounted on a second camera for available light shots. With the second camera I set the camera to "A" so I do not have to worry about f-stops and shutter speeds when I am in a hurry. I used a similar setup for years when I shot film and found that it also works well with digital. I find with the Pentax I can take many of my shots with available light and only use the flash as needed.

For portraits I use a 50mm f1.4 lens. This works out to a mild telephoto with the smaller sensor, almost a perfect size. I like to shoot portraits around f4, it gives just enough depth of field. I also shoot both Jpeg and RAW. Most of my shots are from the Jpeg files, but special shots I like to work the raw files to get what I want.

Hope this helps.
01-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Tamron 28-75/2.8.
Tamron 17-50/2.8
Sigma 30/1.4 (those low DoF shots of rings, presents, bride etc, at weddings look great).

At least 2 bodies.

01-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
HI All,'thanks for your fast reply

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
#2 if you have the budget, #1 if you don't. Tripod, yes. BTW have you shot weddings before? You may want something like the Tamron 17-50/2.8 for such. Cheers!
i never shoot any wedding before.. and never mind about that

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Tamron 28-75/2.8.
Tamron 17-50/2.8
Sigma 30/1.4 (those low DoF shots of rings, presents, bride etc, at weddings look great).

At least 2 bodies.
are you guys suggesting i drop the current 18-135mm or one of my prime and take tamron 17-50/2.8?
thanks
01-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mr.wizard Quote
i never shoot any wedding before.. and never mind about that

are you guys suggesting i drop the current 18-135mm or one of my prime and take tamron 17-50/2.8?
I'd suggest that you apprentice with a wedding photographer, work (for free) as an assistant, find out what gear and techniques a pro uses. Also read some books about wedding photography. Learn, before you burn money. Most wedding toggers will advise that you have at least two camera bodies, a short zoom, a longer zoom, a fast prime for moody shots, flash system, backup batteries / lenses / mem.cards / bodies / flash / everything. But it's a business. Better to learn the business before blowing cash. Good luck!
01-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'd suggest that you apprentice with a wedding photographer, work (for free) as an assistant, find out what gear and techniques a pro uses. Also read some books about wedding photography. Learn, before you burn money. Most wedding toggers will advise that you have at least two camera bodies, a short zoom, a longer zoom, a fast prime for moody shots, flash system, backup batteries / lenses / mem.cards / bodies / flash / everything. But it's a business. Better to learn the business before blowing cash. Good luck!
Excellent advice. That is how I started, working part time for a studio under another photographer. That was more than 40 years ago. He taught me a lot, what equipment I needed, how not to waste money on stuff I didn't, how to control/direct the participants, how to control the other services such as the DJ, food service, etc. I paid for my equipment as I went, as I made money I bought something else until I had a nice system.

Many bride and grooms will look to the photographer for guidance during the wedding, some will not. You should be ready to tell them what needs to be done next, when the guests are getting restless, etc. You should have in your head what shots you should take, what you must take, and how many retakes are necessary. You should also be open to their needs and wants, do they want a special pose, who are the special guests, who should you humor if the need comes up but not waste your time, or theirs, catering to their desires.

Once you get the hang of it, well things get easier. Making money shooting weddings is simple if you do it right. If you do a good job your work will sell itself, no need to advertise. Someone in the wedding party will see your shots and want you to take their wedding. That is how my business worked for many years until I gave it up to pursue another career. I now just shoot weddings for friends.
01-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mr.wizard Quote
Yep, that is what they are saying. And actually I think they're saying to drop the 18-135 in favor of something faster.

01-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Yep, that is what they are saying. And actually I think they're saying to drop the 18-135 in favor of something faster.
Yes that's exactly what we're (at least I) are saying. The 18-135 is an average slow zoom with the IQ to match it. The f2.8 lenses from Tamron at least (17-50 and 28-75) have excellent IQ and that f2.8 will be needed. This is the reason so many people use them for Weddings and events. The 18-135 shouldn't really be considered for a wedding - it's a good walkaround lens with decent IQ, meaning not good enough for events.