01-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mundus Quote
AlunFoto - PESO/Snowproofed

Copied from Jostein Øksne`s gallery . Its a K7
Very nice, proves the weatherproofing.

Is that a Metz 58 on top? I didn't know they had some weatherproofing.
01-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
My k5 is getting it's first real winter workout at the Dew Tour in Killington. It worked flawlessly. I'll be here for the weekend as my daughter is competing in Superpipe. I'll be posting shots after I get home or find a better internet connection. They postponed competition when word of Sarah Burke's death was announced so tomorrow will be a busy day and a lot of shooting.
Good luck to your daughter. Look forward to the photos.

Up here near Toronto the papers have a lot on Sarah Burke since she was born only about 1 1/2 drive away from where I live.
01-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by incidentflux Quote
Nice! \m/

Who makes that hand-strap?
Hi, it's a 'Pro Strap' from camdapter. They also do shoulder straps.

The strap connects to the bottom of the camera with a custom metal plate that will fit Manfrotto Quick Release units. You can therefore just snap the camera on or off the tripod.

01-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
The strap connects to the bottom of the camera with a custom metal plate that will fit Manfrotto Quick Release units.
Which quick release system? Manfrotto has several. Also, what's a rough idea of the price? Looks like a great "action" strap.
01-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Which quick release system? Manfrotto has several. Also, what's a rough idea of the price? Looks like a great "action" strap.
I've copied a bit from their website that describes the quick release system it uses.
Their product also has adapters for several other systems.

The Camdapter Manfrotto Adapter fits all cameras* and tripod heads that use the Manfrotto 3157N camera plate (200PL in Europe) or the RC2-type QR adapters. Specifically recommended for cameras with a rubber base around the tripod thread. Solid, machined aluminum construction with a durable black annodized finish.

Their website is here:

Camdapter - The Adapter

The strap was $27 and the adapters range from $35 to $45.

The company seems to be a one or two person operation.

It's not a cheap option but it works very well. I consider it my one bit of luxury in leather goods.

I also have the shoulder strap. They call it a 'slingstrap', it just clips onto the existing hand strap on the right and to a special clip you install on the left hand strap fitting on the camera.

They don't seem to have the colour of leather I chose now and I was lucky to be able to get the shoulder strap made from the same colour as he had a bit of the same colour leather left over.

The shoulder strap is designed to let your camera hang down at your hip instead of right out in front of you. The camera I feel is a bit more protected since you can keep your hand over it when you're in crowds.

Hope this helps.
01-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Hi, it's a 'Pro Strap' from camdapter. They also do shoulder straps.
The strap connects to the bottom of the camera with a custom metal plate that will fit Manfrotto Quick Release units. You can therefore just snap the camera on or off the tripod
Thanks, I'm still looking for one, started a thread here on hand straps. Would appreciate it if you could post some more photos of the K-5 with the hand strap and plate there, just to keep this thread on topic

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/171701-ha...aps-k-5-a.html

Last edited by incidentflux; 01-20-2012 at 12:50 PM.
01-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Checked out the website, he has some neat products and looks like quality work. Nice to see a few Pentax DSLR bodies in the product shots too!

01-20-2012, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #24

Pedro Sarmento's Photos | Facebook

Who uses a Pentax to shoot have the best equipment in the world, snowing or raining is the same....
01-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #25
Pentaxian

My brother and I walked around Port Orchard, WA for a coupla hours on Wed when the recent cold blast from Canada arrived. Temps in the 20's.

These were taken with my all weather K5 and DA-21 :-) (yeah i know, the DA21 is not sealed, but it didn't know that)

The conditions where a lighter pellet snow type of percipitation coming down. I took one of my mitts off for awhile and my fingers got painful pretty quick. Our 2 K-5s did fine - no hickups of any kind.

I probably wouldn't have been as willing to use one of the newer compact cameras, unsealed, in these conditions, YMMV. I'm not against the compacts at all, just saying.
01-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm working off a cheap netbook so I apologize if these don't look too good. My daughter in the Superpipe this morning. 8 degrees F and a vicious wind. She didn't finish it the top 6 but did well considering she is 36 and has 2 knees full of hardware.

Last edited by reeftool; 12-29-2016 at 04:44 PM.
01-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
Forum Member

I`ll ask Jostein tomorrow , he and another Pentaxian is coming over to my house , getting together for photographying golden eagles / sea eagles( not shore if its the right words)
01-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Snowing heavily today. I had to scoop snow out from the viewfinder to take shots. Love the weather resistance.

Here is a series I took with my 55-300. An otter and trumpeter swans.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101688500536284805756/albums/5699900059586396337
01-21-2012, 01:31 PM - 2 Likes   #29

I was photographing my boys sledding today. Got to test out the body and lens. Love, love this camera. My wife nearly fell over when I asked her for her iPhone to snap this photo which was completely inspired by the OP.

01-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think we can all safely say that this is ONE edge we have over a lot of other brands.