Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 03:30 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 in the snow

My K-5 decided to play in the snow and then sat down when it got tired.

Now we'll see how weather-resistant it REALLY is.

Attached Images

01-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great product shot!
That leather strap looks interesting too.
What is it?
01-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Forum Member

Bah, I use my K-7 for accident investigations at a Ski area - last round was done in freezing rain for 2hrs with the 18-55mm wr lens mounted! A little snow/rain and cold weather only makes our cameras happier!

Glad to see you're using it the way it's meant to be used!
Greg
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree- this would work well as a product photo!!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #5

that's a camera hand strap.
i have a similar one from ebay for less than $4.

great photo btw
01-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Great product shot!
That leather strap looks interesting too.
What is it?
Thanks, the strap is a 'ProStrap' (that's what it's called, not my qualification as a photographer!!) by a company called Camdapter. Underneath it connects to a metal plate that is Manfrotto Quick Release compatible so I don't need to fiddle around with screws to put it on my tripod or monopod.

They're quite expensive and I have the matching shoulder strap as well. it's my one little bit of luxury leather goods. Everything else I own is either imitation leather or plastic!!

Last edited by mtansley; 01-19-2012 at 06:28 PM.
01-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RallyDriver96 Quote
Bah, I use my K-7 for accident investigations at a Ski area - last round was done in freezing rain for 2hrs with the 18-55mm wr lens mounted! A little snow/rain and cold weather only makes our cameras happier!

Glad to see you're using it the way it's meant to be used!
Greg
Ahhh, now the game of oneupmanship starts. "In my day we were lucky to have a camera, we used to have to sketch the whole scene on a piece of slate!!"

Actually, your endorsement sounds very good, freezing rain, impressive.

It does seem funny to take out a piece of electronic kit into inclement weather but I've heard from so many about how rugged these things are that I thought it was time I tried it.

I brushed the snow off when I got back in and the camera still looks like new. You're right, this is the way to use them.

01-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I agree- this would work well as a product photo!!
We just won't tell anyone that I took the photo with a little 3.2 megapixel Canon A70 P & S from 2004!!

I just plonked the camera down to take a photo of it, but now looking at it on this site, it DOES look good!!
01-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Ahhh, now the game of oneupmanship starts. "In my day we were lucky to have a camera, we used to have to sketch the whole scene on a piece of slate!!"

Actually, your endorsement sounds very good, freezing rain, impressive.

It does seem funny to take out a piece of electronic kit into inclement weather but I've heard from so many about how rugged these things are that I thought it was time I tried it.

I brushed the snow off when I got back in and the camera still looks like new. You're right, this is the way to use them.
Ah busted!

It does get addicting though taking advantage of the weather sealing and wr lenses. In October I was doing some long exposure shots of a brook by an old bridge abutment when it started to rain, when I decided to pack up after a few 6min exposures I hiked back up the hill toward my car and came across another photographer taking photos of the rainbow behind me, he was also using a Pentax. All the other photographers in the area were sitting in their cars waiting for the showers to pass.

After using the K7 in crap conditions, I seldom pull out the Panasonic bomb proof point and shoot (it's battery doesn't last as long as the one in the Pentax in bitter cold anywho).
01-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My k5 is getting it's first real winter workout at the Dew Tour in Killington. It worked flawlessly. I'll be here for the weekend as my daughter is competing in Superpipe. I'll be posting shots after I get home or find a better internet connection. They postponed competition when word of Sarah Burke's death was announced so tomorrow will be a busy day and a lot of shooting.
01-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

We just got 6 inches of the white stuff, and the weather looks promising for the weekend, so I hope to get my K-5 out for some winter shots soon. Not to mention, the Tokina AT-X Pro thread in the lens section of the forum got me wanting to dig out my AT-X Pro 28-80/2.8 and get some shots with it on the K-5 for the first time.

Nice product shot by the way!
01-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Brooke Meyer

K-5 in the Snow

If you do shoot pictures of the snow with a K-5 and this case, a DA50-135, it looks like this. By the time I got done watching and shooting these guys, there was a good half inch on the lens hood.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
Brooke Meyer

Ooops
01-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
Forum Member

Nice shot!

I have also used my K-5 in really bad weather here in northern Norway; the lenscap has been filled with wet snow on several occations, and on new years eve, both the lenscap, the camera bag and everything else that could be filled with snow was filled with snow; the weather was so bad i had to tie my tripod to my backpack so it wouldn't fly away. The K-5 and its lenses worked during those conditions, and worked after being through them, so i couldn't be happier. Except for the fact it was too difficult for me to get a shot of the new years eve rockets.
01-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #15
Forum Member

Another picture of a Pentax in the snow :)

AlunFoto - PESO/Snowproofed

Copied from Jostein Øksne`s gallery . Its a K7