Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 Firmware Update Question

So I just picked up a used K-5 (techno crush realized) and I am getting ready to do an update on the firmware. I was wondering if I should just update to V1.12 and that will be the end? All of the other changes to the firmware from previous versions are incorporated into the latest version right - like a normal software update? This is a total rookie question, but I dont want to fry my new mistress because of my idiocy.

Also, is there a good how to thread out there for doing this update?

01-20-2012, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

YES The latest include all previous update.
The best is to follow how to on the Pentax site, it's so easy
01-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thejake Quote
Also, is there a good how to thread out there for doing this update?
I have never had any issues, but you might want to start with an empty sd card and format it in the camera before you begin.
01-20-2012, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

As mentioned, the firmware updates are cumulative, so you only ever need to install the most recent one. The other important thing is to always do the update on a full battery. It's an intensive operation for the camera, and takes several minutes, and if your battery happened to die during the process (or, if you didn't something crazy like turn it off during the process) you would end up with a nice looking paper weight. The camera should refuse to update on a low battery anyway, but I wouldn't trust the battery indicator in any camera. Just charge it fully before you proceed.