Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beware Knock off K-5 Battery Grips

When I bought my K-5 I bought a $75 Knock off battery grip. I have had the grip on the camera for over a year with no real noticeable issues. I love the way the grip balances the camera.

Over this year I have thrown away 2 batteries. This was due to (what I thought) was a decreased battery life of other than Pentax OEM batteries.

Last night, after fully charging a battery and placing it in the grip it showed completely empty. I was ready to throw out this third battery when I thought, "Let's try this in the camera body and see what happens."

Once placed in the K-5 body, it showed completely full. I put the battery through it's paces with live view and movie mode and had no issues. It did not drain after over 100 shots with flash.

I tried the same experiment with another non-OEM battery with the same result. Charged fully, placed in the grip and it showed empty. Placed it in the camera body and I had no problems firing off ~100 shots.

Lessons learned, I have removed the grip and it is going in the trash.

I am ordering the Pentax grip.

It seems there are possibly voltage regulation or voltage reporting issues with the knock off grips.

Just reporting my experience with this. On my K20D I have the OEM grip and none of these issues have occurred with almost 60k shots taken.

01-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
When I bought my K-5 I bought a $75 Knock off battery grip. I have had the grip on the camera for over a year with no real noticeable issues. I love the way the grip balances the camera.

Over this year I have thrown away 2 batteries. This was due to (what I thought) was a decreased battery life of other than Pentax OEM batteries.

Last night, after fully charging a battery and placing it in the grip it showed completely empty. I was ready to throw out this third battery when I thought, "Let's try this in the camera body and see what happens."

Once placed in the K-5 body, it showed completely full. I put the battery through it's paces with live view and movie mode and had no issues. It did not drain after over 100 shots with flash.

I tried the same experiment with another non-OEM battery with the same result. Charged fully, placed in the grip and it showed empty. Placed it in the camera body and I had no problems firing off ~100 shots.

Lessons learned, I have removed the grip and it is going in the trash.

I am ordering the Pentax grip.

It seems there are possibly voltage regulation or voltage reporting issues with the knock off grips.

Just reporting my experience with this. On my K20D I have the OEM grip and none of these issues have occurred with almost 60k shots taken.
I didn't have any of the electronic problems, but I'm not surprised that it happened to you. I recently bought the $200 original grip after the flimsy battery door cover on my DX grip snapped off. You won't be disappointed
01-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry you had trouble with your grip. I've been shooting with my Pentax grip for a month with no issues, you'll love it. I got mine used on eBay for a lot less and its been perfect. Good luck!
01-22-2012, 03:47 AM   #4

Love the genuine grip

I'm with you guys.

Recently got the K5 and loved the features, but I felt it was a tad on the small side for me.

Looked at the Chinese knock-off grips, no W/R, and thought why put an el cheapo grip on a $1200 camera with a $1400 lens on it. Sort of defeats the purpose of going for the quality of the Pentax system.

I bought the real deal from B & H, about $230.00 on my doorstep in Oz, and half the best price locally.

It turned, for me, a very good camera into something special as far as handling goes. Being an old fart, read shaky hands, I mostly shoot off a tripod, but this grip, and the faster shutter speeds the K5 is capable of with it's higher ISO, has turned my clock back.

Yeah, you could say I'm very chuffed with my new K5 and D-BG4 grip.

01-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm sure both the Pentax and the knock-off grips have no voltage-regulation or voltage-reporting electronics in them. If you have an open-circut connection, you get the symptom you described. So it's a bad connection, not an excess drain.

Dan
01-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #6

Just curious, was the grip battery not reporting and not funtioning or was it not reporting although working properly?

Regards Dave
01-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote
I'm with you guys.

Recently got the K5 and loved the features, but I felt it was a tad on the small side for me.

Looked at the Chinese knock-off grips, no W/R, and thought why put an el cheapo grip on a $1200 camera with a $1400 lens on it. Sort of defeats the purpose of going for the quality of the Pentax system.

I bought the real deal from B & H, about $230.00 on my doorstep in Oz, and half the best price locally.

It turned, for me, a very good camera into something special as far as handling goes. Being an old fart, read shaky hands, I mostly shoot off a tripod, but this grip, and the faster shutter speeds the K5 is capable of with it's higher ISO, has turned my clock back.

Yeah, you could say I'm very chuffed with my new K5 and D-BG4 grip.
Glad to hear its made such a positive difference for you. I'm enjoying mine and really appreciate both the portrait utility and the incredible battery reserve that this offers.
01-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Genuine +1

Went the genuine route. Like the feel and look. Everything still fits in holster case. No problems so far.

Complete sentences with next post/reply.

01-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like a grip...

I like the OEM grip. Just checking my new signature with this post.
01-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A good example of buy cheap, pay twice.
01-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
Just curious, was the grip battery not reporting and not funtioning or was it not reporting although working properly?

Regards Dave
Everything was working fine except that the battery meter was showing the grip battery as dead and either switching over to the battery in the camera body or shutting down.