Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2012, 04:57 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Comparison of K10D and K-5

I've seen a few threads started by folks wondering if it's a good idea to upgrade to the K5 from a K10D or K20D. This article should be pretty helpful.

Digital SLR Duel: Five Years Of Pentax Progress: K10D vs K-5

01-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent article - thx
01-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for posting this - very helpful since I'm looking for an upgrade from my K10d.
01-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want to compare just the specs, without additional opinion, the snapsort comparison looks even more dramatic.

01-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #5

Great little article, but it still didn't convince me to make an upgrade. I still take great shots with my K10D, and I still think that K5 is too expensive for me. One day, surely, I will be K5 owner, but I will wait for significant price drop. Of course, it will be an used body, and that is the beauty of modern cameras - they get cheaper with time, but still remain great no matter how old they get.
I hope Pentax will make the new camera this year, so that price of K5 drops significantly, just like it happened with the price of K7.
01-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've found that K200D's AF is not worse than K-5...This review proved it.
01-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hegedus Quote
Great little article, but it still didn't convince me to make an upgrade. I still take great shots with my K10D, and I still think that K5 is too expensive for me. One day, surely, I will be K5 owner, but I will wait for significant price drop.
When I bought my K20D over 3 years ago, I told myself there was no way I would upgrade for several years. Then along came the K-5 and all the improvements and some impressive hands-on time and I realized I'd better sell now and upgrade while the K20D still had some value.

So sure, you can wait until your camera is worth nothing and have to come up with all the money for even a used body, or you can sell your existing body now and not wait so long for it to devalue and pay a decent chunk toward a new body. I'm not making this as a suggestion to anyone, but just saying how my ordinarily frugal "use it until it falls apart" mindset has changed regarding when the best time is to upgrade.

01-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If the money is available, it's also a good idea to consider hedging your bets, keeping the older body as a backup. With that plan, it's just a matter of buying the upgrade at the best possible price, which should be soon for the K-5 if there is some kind of announcement of new models in the next couple months.
01-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #9

enoxatnep, I understand your point. The question is, how much money can I get for my K10? 200€? Less? Surely, the price will drop further, but not so fast as price of K5 in the upcoming months. There is no so much space for the K10 price drop, but K5 is another story. Anyway, I don't think that I will choose the right moment to make a switch to K5, because I will surely get impatient.
01-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I JUST ordered a K5 this morning. Paid 1252$ for K5+Grip, shipped and all taxes in (Canada). I've been shooting with the K10D since 2007, so I'm very much looking forward the upgrade!
01-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hegedus Quote
enoxatnep, I understand your point. The question is, how much money can I get for my K10? 200€? Less? Surely, the price will drop further, but not so fast as price of K5 in the upcoming months. There is no so much space for the K10 price drop, but K5 is another story. Anyway, I don't think that I will choose the right moment to make a switch to K5, because I will surely get impatient.
To quote from my post: "I'm not making this as a suggestion to anyone, but just saying how my ordinarily frugal "use it until it falls apart" mindset has changed regarding when the best time is to upgrade."

I likewise realize that the K10D isn't worth much any more; this was more of a suggestion to someone wanting to upgrade who still had some decent value in their camera, like K20D owners for the next little while.