Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I don't really mind control layout differences, I can learn both so it's not a real concern for me.
I would suggest K-x over K-r. The K-x is more compact, I believe it's the second smallest DSLR ever made, beaten only by an Olympus with no shake reduction. K-x should be a little cheaper. A few K-x samples were reputed to have shutter blur, but many K-r's, (maybe all?), have low light focussing issues. The K-x doesn't have focus indicators in the OVF, but I use Center Focus and Recompose or focus manually, so it's not a concern for me. It can be handy to have one body that uses AA batteries. This has saved my butt more than once.

I still much prefer the twin-dial cameras though.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-24-2012 at 07:41 AM.
01-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Another vote for the k-7. Cheaper, uses all the same accessories (battery, focusing screen, battery grip), is also WR.
01-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K-7 would be nice, but I need money for LBA and it seems that K-7 bodies are still pretty pricey used, I saw one in the marketplace that recently went for $750. I can buy a nice lens or two with that. Older bodies like K10D or K20D would be fine for a backup. Is there any significant reason to go for one over the other? Obviously putting aside the different resolution sensors...
01-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 would be nice, but I need money for LBA and it seems that K-7 bodies are still pretty pricey used, I saw one in the marketplace that recently went for $750. I can buy a nice lens or two with that. Older bodies like K10D or K20D would be fine for a backup. Is there any significant reason to go for one over the other? Obviously putting aside the different resolution sensors...
Are you wanting a second body (i.e., in the field with two bodies, a different lens on each one) or a backup body (i.e., backup in the bag just in case primary camera dies)?

01-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Older bodies like K10D or K20D would be fine for a backup. Is there any significant reason to go for one over the other? Obviously putting aside the different resolution sensors...
K20D has AF adjust, one stop higher ISO performance, better reliability (lots of complaints of back/front focus with K10D bodies). Some people prefer the look of CCD sensor at base ISO.
01-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #21
Forum Member

I'd go K-7 since is exactly the same, so familiarity will be there, and it can share accessories. w00t for same battery grip !!
heck if i had the money my back up body for my K-7 would be a K-5 (haha )
01-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I faced a choice between keeping K10D and K-x on getting my K-5. Much as I loved my K-x, most of its strengths lay in the same areas as K5. Ended up keeping K10D for its weather and dust sealing, semi professional body with dedicated buttons, and as previously mentioned, its low ISO IQ.

01-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Are you wanting a second body (i.e., in the field with two bodies, a different lens on each one) or a backup body (i.e., backup in the bag just in case primary camera dies)?
Mainly as a backup body, with perhaps a different lens on it to help keep lens changes down in the field. I guess that also makes it a second body.
01-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Mainly as a backup body, with perhaps a different lens on it to help keep lens changes down in the field. I guess that also makes it a second body.
If that's so then a K-7 would be best choice in terms of price - but if it's still a bit too costly, a K20D - assuming you have WR lenses also and if you do field work (as in even in not-so-good weather conditions) would do.