Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #1

Blue cast in bright sunlight with AWB

I have only had a K5 for a few weeks, but I have noticed a tendency to a significantly blue cast to most photos (not just the sky - all colours) when using White Balance set to AWB in bright Australian sunlight. Changing White Balance to 'sunlight' fixes this, but Auto White Balance doesn't seem to be able to cope with it. Is this to be expected with the K5? I should add that I have only had older manual SMC prime lenses to work with so far.

01-23-2012, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Auto WB can be thrown off track by unusual subject colors in the scene, such as lots of wooden furniture yellow painted interiors, amber or orangecolured things in general. It'll yield bluish pictures. Maybe in your case it's the red australian soil?

You can finetune the AWB setting in the white balance menu. I've dialed in +2 blue, that works well for me.

Regards,
--Anders.
01-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

With my K20D on AWB, blue skies lend a blue cast to pictures. I shoot in RAW and during development I must constantly tweak WB, usually to CLOUDY. Of all the digicams I've used, NONE has had decent AWB. My most commonly-used PP tool on JPGs is REMOVE COLOR CAST.
01-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Older Pentax M series lenses do show a cooler (bluer) rendition from my experience.
WB is also affected by subject color.

01-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

No samples, no help :-)
01-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never use AWB, it never gets things right. Learn to use less auto settings and you will enjoy photography more
01-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks All for your responses - In this case I don't think it is subject colour as it has happened equally on subjects that are predominantly blue and white as on ones with a lot of red rock. The lenses may be a factor - I'm getting a DA lens soon so will see how that goes. In the meantime I'll take all your advices and play with the settings.

Cheers,

Andrew

01-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Crouch Quote
Thanks All for your responses - In this case I don't think it is subject colour as it has happened equally on subjects that are predominantly blue and white as on ones with a lot of red rock. The lenses may be a factor - I'm getting a DA lens soon so will see how that goes. In the meantime I'll take all your advices and play with the settings.

Cheers,

Andrew
the lens would add a consistent cast not variable. Start by setting the WB to match shooting conditions or leave it on daylight. Also take care of settings like those used to emulate different films. Some were a little blue.

Remember as well tha the camera lacks the
Instead function. It sees light not what you think you see
01-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Older Pentax M series lenses do show a cooler (bluer) rendition from my experience.
WB is also affected by subject color.
Manay of my old M series lens do have a bluish colour cast. I rather like the look myself but you can adjust the settings of the K5 to adjust for this.

Tom G
03-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Crouch Quote
I have only had a K5 for a few weeks, but I have noticed a tendency to a significantly blue cast to most photos (not just the sky - all colours) when using White Balance set to AWB in bright Australian sunlight. Changing White Balance to 'sunlight' fixes this, but Auto White Balance doesn't seem to be able to cope with it. Is this to be expected with the K5? I should add that I have only had older manual SMC prime lenses to work with so far.
Try to set A2 or A3 correction to the AWB for a warmer color cast.

To set AWB correction press WB button on the pad, then right to enter AWB correction menu. Then press right 2 or 3 times to set A2 or A3 correction. Terminate with OK 2 times.

With A3 AWB correction, colors are the same as with sunlight WB.

Last edited by pscl57; 03-21-2012 at 09:30 AM.