Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #1

Bulb mode

I am using a Hama ca 1 remote control when shooting in bulb mode for long exposure. For those who have used this device pressing and holding the button on the remote until the red light goes out starts the exposure. Pressing the button once more ends the exposure.
Last winter I took shots with exposures longer than 10 minutes without any problem using this technique. A year later when I try this the camera cuts the exposure without any second press of the remote button. The time it takes before the camera cuts the exposure seems random spanning from 80 to 160 seconds. Does any of you know why this happens?

01-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #2

mmh never heard of that before, maybe you have some the "auto switch off" activated, which might interfere here.

Cant you just lock the remote controler? The pictures i saw showd some kind of "bulb" mechanism.
01-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have never heard of some "Auto switch off" and yes I am locking the remote, the process I described leads to locking. And what pictures did you see?
01-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #4

Wow, no reason to sound so pissed.

The K5 has a Menu-Option called "Auto Power OFF" it puts the camera in standby after a certain time, maybe this interrupts at 60 or 180secs.

I looked for pictures of the remote control you mentioned.

01-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Sorry. It was not my intent insulting you or sound pissed. Definitely poor choice of words from my side.

Wouldn't the auto power off kick in at the exact same time? And the camera doesn't switch off or go into standby. Here are some pictures of the remote: Hama Wireless Remote Control Release.ca-1: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
01-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #6

mmh ok, that sounds weird :S

maybe you can try use the "normal" bulb mode, without the HAMA controler? if the problem disappear it might be a problem with the remote control, sorry dont habt any other idea
01-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
I have tried just pressing and holding the shutter button, this works fine and the exposure don't get cut like when I use the remote. The strange thing is that the remote used to work, maybe a firmware has broken this?
01-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #8

I think you cant adjust the camera to react in the same way.
1. shutter button push = start exposure
2. shutter button push = end exposure

If the camera acts normal i think the remote control is broken.
In fact i don't think that this has something to do with new firmware, i think its more likely that hama just produced "too cheap"

01-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #9

Ok, just tried it, there is no problem with an infrared remote controler and the "remote control Mode 1" i tried a bulb exposure of 5 mins
01-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Wow, no reason to sound so pissed.
Hi
Firstly I must jump to the defense of MrK5, his answer was in no way offensive.

In my case I speak a bit of German and have learned to be careful with perceived meanings that spring from misunderstanding/interpreting written German correspondence. In MrK5's case his answer was just factual, they way one writes to convey a short but factual message.

Now to your problem, I do not know the remote controller you have but I assume it operates with a battery. I have a remote that at occasions has acted like yours and in the end it was the result of a flat or almost spent battery. May I suggest you check this and see if this remedies the problem.

Greetings
01-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #11

Original Poster
Battery on remote and camera fully charged. Still the same problem.
01-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but if yes then this might help.

I have the famous and well respected "Yu Wei Multi Brand Remote Controller" On my K-5 Custom Setting 19 (under C4 in the menu) is set to Mode1. I switch the mode dial to B, set Drive Mode to Remote Control. Press S on the remote controller and the exposure starts, press S again a few minutes later and exposure ends. Works as advertised

So I'd check C19 setting and set it to Mode1. If still doesn't work then maybe do a settings reset and try again. If it still doesn't work then I'd try with another remote controller to see if that's the cause. Make sure there are no IR beams (and lightsabers ) that may foul the cam in your area.