Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
never heard this reason but it sounds like good one, although in my case I would privilege the disk space rather than camera CPU.

Would you know the values for a K5?
Sorry I mixed up! PEF takes 10MB and DNG takes 16MB using a K10D. I don't have a K5 so I can't really test it

01-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Sorry I mixed up! PEF takes 10MB and DNG takes 16MB using a K10D. I don't have a K5 so I can't really test it
DNG is not really some universal standard as they tried to make it. The adobe converter makes a compressed dng which is different from the uncompressed dng the k10d used. When I got the k100d super and couldn't use my capture one in pef I tried dng, but without the camera profile supported the colors weren't quite right anyway so without the proper camera profile dng is not any kind of a universal file system. IMO I used pef because the files are smaller, plain and simple. JM2CTS
01-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started with PEF (on K10D and K100D) and switched to DNG for the K5 as the PEFs were not recognised by the software that I use.

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
What are you crazy? That's like asking "ViM or emacs?"
That's easier than the choice between DNG and PEF 'vi' all the way
01-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
DNG is not really some universal standard as they tried to make it. The adobe converter makes a compressed dng which is different from the uncompressed dng the k10d used. When I got the k100d super and couldn't use my capture one in pef I tried dng, but without the camera profile supported the colors weren't quite right anyway so without the proper camera profile dng is not any kind of a universal file system. IMO I used pef because the files are smaller, plain and simple. JM2CTS
Good you can make your own profile
and... the camera does embed a profile so i've no idea what's actually going on.
I do notice that somtimes other programs than adobe have problems picking the right whitebalance though.

01-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

DNG because it is more supported by 3rd party programs
01-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
An overlooked aspect ...

DNG and PEF are almost equivalent (with an K-5). Both are treated equally by many programs and PEF can be converted into DNG using Adobe's free DNG converter.

But ...

Some software does only support PEF and there is no program I am aware of which converts DNG to PEF.

The most notable example is DxO. And this matters because DxO has the best image restoration algorithms to invert softness from average lenses.

This is why I switched my workflow back to PEF. To keep the option to apply DxO to some of my images. Actually, I only need it for a few lenses like the DA 18-250. But I am too lazy to always switch formats.
01-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
'vi' all the way
yep

BTW I use PEF, but I use the bundled software almost exclusively. I also have a gimp plugin that supports PEF, so I think PEFs (at least the current versions) will be useable for the foreseeable future.