Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Are CaNikon users compensating for something?

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Very handy site to compare various camera bodies based on size. I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone on this forum, Pentax has the smallest DSLR bodies...

01-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be fair, each of your links is for a camera with a built in grip vs the K-5 without its D-BG4. The first link is for the D4 vs K-5 but the D4 has a built in grip so the comparison should be the D4 vs the K-5 + D-BG4. K-5 would still be smaller but it would be a fair comparison.

Here's a more = comparison IMHO
http://camerasize.com/compare/#187,181

To answer your question - yes.

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-24-2012 at 06:03 AM.
01-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are they compensating?
Okay, just for fun I'll play Devil's advocate.
CaNikon users probably figure K5 users like the smaller size because everything else looks bigger in comparison. There's more than one way to compensate.
Seriously, thanks for the links.
01-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say those comparisons are fair. For one as somebody said those are built in grips, also they are full frame. A fairer comparison would be a Nikon D7000 (Compare camera dimensions side by side) and a Canon 60D/7D(Compare camera dimensions side by side). Both are larger but not significantly like in the picture. Even a 5dmk2 is not significantly larger than the k-5 (Compare camera dimensions side by side).

01-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd like to see Pentax make something big for a change (in the K-mount format) - but that's just me. For now, though, the K-5 + grip works quite well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
The reason I opted for my K-r is it's smaller and lighter than Canikon; I have weak hands so weight is a concern, every gram saved on body weight gives me more margin for larger glass.

Though I probably could have gone Canikon since 95% of my shots are on a tripod anyway. But I didn't know that when I was buying, so I went for the smaller/lighter (and cheaper) option. Also the K-r just felt nicer to hold than the 3100 and 1100, and certainly moreso than the 5D2 and D700. The K7 is quite nice too (a friend has one) so I may well upgrade to a second hand K7 or K5 (or maybe even the pending replacement) soon. All will still be better to hold than Canikony, for me personally. I don't begrudge people for their choices, but I have my reasons for making mine and I hope Pentax keeps at least one line of similarly sized/weighted bodies in to the future.
01-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, this was NOT meant to be a serious comparison... of course I realize the non-Pentax cameras I selected were oversized because they have an integrated battery grip. It seems the sarcasm was lost on a couple of you...

I should have known better.

01-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #8

if pentax could also "compensate" meaning produce a Full Framce camera (such a the D4 or the 1DIV you compared the k5 with) I wouldnt mind...
01-24-2012, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

I created this about a month ago...hope this helps with the size comparing:

*Click on it once to bring it up in a new window/tab, and then once more to get to the full size image*

Last edited by Heie; 01-24-2012 at 08:28 AM.
01-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Ok, this was NOT meant to be a serious comparison... of course I realize the non-Pentax cameras I selected were oversized because they have an integrated battery grip. It seems the sarcasm was lost on a couple of you...

I should have known better.
Sarcasm? What's that?
01-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote

Very handy site to compare various camera bodies based on size. I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone on this forum, Pentax has the smallest DSLR bodies...
Both the Nikon D4 and the Canon 1D are full-frame cameras, so to compare them with a APS-C sensor format Pentax K5 is rather pointless I think
I do like Heie's comparison picture with all kinds of camera's!
01-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like this comparison:
I bet that the 645 could eat the Q.
01-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Man, forget those Canonikonists with their ridiculously small cameras. I wonder what was Ansel Adams compensating for with his glass plate camera?

(photo by cedric wright)
Attached Images

01-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Man, forget those Canonikonists with their ridiculously small cameras. I wonder what was Ansel Adams compensating for with his glass plate camera?

(photo by cedric wright)
Well....you do have him pictured atop a car that was commonly referred to as a "woody".....
01-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Well....you do have him pictured atop a car that was commonly referred to as a "woody".....
btw. I like that car, but probably a huge gas guzzler like today's hummer or so