Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 bracketing

quick question for K5 owners.

Can you use the bracketing function when also using a remote? The reason I ask is my K-m does not support this (if you select remote then bracketing it not possible). Also if this is supported do you need to hold down the remote button or will the camera fire off the bracketed shots with a single press?

(thanks in advance for any replies).

01-27-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mde1970 Quote
quick question for K5 owners.

Can you use the bracketing function when also using a remote? The reason I ask is my K-m does not support this (if you select remote then bracketing it not possible). Also if this is supported do you need to hold down the remote button or will the camera fire off the bracketed shots with a single press?

(thanks in advance for any replies).
My IR remote is not working now on either the K20D or the K-5, but the cheapie corded remote I have allows 1-press, 2,3,5 shot bracketing on the K-5.

Make sure option C.2.9 One-Push Bracketing is set to 2 (On).

Dan.
01-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Even though my K5 is on order, I believe I can answer your question. The problem that your question is addressing is the way Pentax on the Km/2000 utilizes a remote shutter release. I do not believe that the Km has the ability to use a wired remote shutter release, just the IR shutter release. There in-lies the problem. With only an IR remote capability, you need to enable the IR remote capability on the camera (once enabled, it draws power looking for the IR signal from your IR remote). You do this through the function (f(x)) button. The problem is that you also enable the bracketing capability on the same menu that the enabling IR is on, and you can only have one or the other enabled at once. I tend to think that this is done by design so as to differentiate the entry model (Km/K2000, Kx, Kr) from the advanced models (K10, K20, k7, k5). The advanced models can use both the wired shutter release and the IR shutter release, and the IR release enable is separated from the bracketing enable capability.

I currently have a K20, and once the wired shutter release is plugged in, you can trip the shutter anytime - even if the camera is turned off. This is very handy if you are waiting for some event, you don't have to have the camera turned on all the time. I use the wired remote with the 2 second shutter delay (mirror up) and bracketing quite a bit.

hope that helps.....

Last edited by interested_observer; 01-27-2012 at 04:44 AM.
01-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yep helps a lot.

(not sure I can justify k5 for this one function though, I'll have to search for a few more reasons to upgrade ).

01-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter

You can have both wired, radio and IR remote release with bracketing on the K-5. For use with the IR there is a setting for that in the bracketing menu, (see p. 158 in the manual).

For wired/radio release it works as described by dosdan and interested_observer above.
01-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mde1970 Quote
I'll have to search for a few more reasons to upgrade
I upgraded from a K-x to a K-5 mainly because of the easier/quicker setup and the 100% viewfinder coverage.

When I got my K-5, I fell in love with the electronic level and the one touch bracketing.

Are these enough extra reasons?