Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Digital Filters

Hi. I have a question about the filters. I donít have a lot of experience with digital filters, and my question is, can I use a different filters at once? What combination I can use or better do not combine them?

01-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you mean in-camera filtering, I think you're limited to the Custom Image menu selections. I have tha K20D, not the K5, so yours may differ. In Monochrome, I can select among Red, Yellow, Green, Magenta etc filtration but I can't combine them. All the filter Modes seem to allow individual settings for Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation etc. So I tend to use Vibrant as my usual color mode, but I set those qualities as I wish. I'm not even sure what the Vibrant defaults are now.

These filters affect JPGs delivered from the camera. If shooting RAW, the settings also carry over as defaults in RAW processing. So I accept those settings, then tweak them as needed in PP. I may also use optical filters if I want their effects, but that's another subject, one that I'll write up Real Soon Now, promise.
01-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I maid mistake, I meant optical filters.
01-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Circular polariser or a natural density filters are the only filters that have a real effect on digital camera.
The rest you can mimic in post processing.

01-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #5

I wanted to know if they would make a difference so I put a #25 red filter on and set the camera to monochrome. I then removed the filter. I could see no difference in the shots. I do not use the digital filters for my shots, instead I rework the image in PS to get the effect I want.
01-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ah, optical filters on digital cameras. Yes, most of their effects can be mimicked digitally, either in-camera or in PP. Those that can't be mimicked easily include:

* PL (polarizing) and CPL (circular PL) filters reduce glare and reflections, and darken skies
* ND (neutral density) filters to reduce light, as for making very long exposures
* GND (graduated ND) filters for equalization, as with bright sky and dark foreground
* IR (infrared) -pass filters, to block visible light and expose the infrared spectrum

Besides these functional filters, are some specialized uses:

* a Yellow filter gives odd tint when shooting colorful glaring neon lights at night
* a Red filter slightly increases image dynamic range when shooting B&W
* a Violet or Light Blue filter replicates early film emulstions when shooting B&W

Are more, but that's enough for now.

Can filters be stacked on digital cameras? Sure, why not! Well, the downside is that each filter degrades image quality (IQ) somewhat. The desired effect may outweigh that degradation, which is why we keep using optical filters. UV and Skylight filters commonly used for 'protection' don't really protect much (except the seller's finances) unless you're shooting in vile conditions.

I *must* write a filters article soon. I must!
01-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote
I wanted to know if they would make a difference so I put a #25 red filter on and set the camera to monochrome. I then removed the filter. I could see no difference in the shots. I do not use the digital filters for my shots, instead I rework the image in PS to get the effect I want.
That's because with film the colours are fixed but with digital the colours are somewhat dynamic.
Like how you had to buy daylight or tungsten film, but with digital that's all done in the camera.

If you put a red filter on a digital camera the camera will remove the red filter effect.

The colour filter thing can all be done on the computer these days.
01-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The colour filter thing can all be done on the computer these days.
To a certain extent, yes. Digital filtering is done by mixing RGB channels. Optical filters have different Q and bandwidth properties. (Q is the steepness of the cutoff curve.) I have yet to find any digital filter that adequately replicates 80A, 80C, and 82A light blue CC (color correction) filters, nor the 47B blue-violet filter.