Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Nikkor PC-E 24 on K-5?

Does anyone know if a Nikkor PC-E 24mm (perspective control lens) will work on a K-5 with an adaptor? Thanks

01-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikkor lenses have a different registration distance than Pentax ones. As such you will need an adapter with glass to allow focus to infinity. The quality will largely depend on the influence of the added glass in the adapter.

If you are working at close distances you could remove the glass and in essence have a short extension tube with a Nikon mount at the lens side and a K mount at the camera side with no quality degradation.

I just got an adapter like that the other day with a removable glass block, but I do not have any Nikkor lenses yet to try it.
01-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks demp10. I'm looking for a way to stitch multiple images together to be able to print large. A friend who has a Nikon D3x does it with his Nikkor pc 24mm with great success and I see no reason that the K-5, even though a smaller sensor, couldn't do the same thing. The pc 24 allegedly creates very sharp images. I'm also wondering, if the adaptor works, couldn't I also use longer Canon glass on it as well?
01-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don, you can do very successful stitching using Pentax lenses. Depending on the final image size and format, you'll get the best results using the camera in portrait mode, overlapping the frames 35-60% and use the best lens you have available, at its best f-stop (typically 5.6, 8 or 11) for the situation.

It is better to use a longer lens to get more tiles for stitching, but beyond a certain point you start losing quality, as medium focal lengths can be sharper, and the added frames will introduce artifacts and geometric distortions that may compromise the final image. A focal lens between 28mm to 85mm works well in most situations. I found 3 to 7 frames is a good starting point.

Take a look at my Albums under Panoramas to see a few samples stitched from photos taken with the kit 18-55 WR lens and a K-7.

01-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Demp10, Thanks for the suggestions. I have stitched some fairly large images using my K20d and the 50 end of the 50-135. With a lot of trees and red rock framed by a sky it can be challenging. Some shots have turned out well and others not so well; mostly due the boundary layers of rock or trees and sky. My friend with the 24mm pc-e says he can capture a 3 image wide shot in less than 5 seconds, without the sensor moving, so the stitching is far easier and more accurate. Now, he is shooting with a D3x and that may account for some of the image quality and ease of use.
01-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can swap the mount and added a 1mm washer to make nikkor lenses fit on pentax bodies.
Swapping the mount alone won't work unless you have a non-ai lens, which unlikely with the 24mmPC.
Adding the 1mm washer will help the lens mount on the pentax without grinded away the metal sticking out for ai/ais lenses.
You may need 1mm longer JIS screws as well.