Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5.. buy now or wait for mirror less? Edit - Amazon Question.

Ok so amazon has the k-5 listed at 1059..

Buy now or wait and see what this K-Mount mirror-less is going to be like?

Also can anyone explain to me how to ensure I get that extended warranty?

Last edited by Chwisch87; 02-05-2012 at 07:34 PM.
01-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You just have to buy the extended warranty together with your camera:
80227 Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for K5, KX and KR Digital SLR Camera (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional)

As far as the mirrorless goes, nobody really knows at the moment. Since the camera has the same sensor, the IQ will most likely be identical. You can't really complain about the K-5's overall performance, and due to parts commonality, I don't forsee that being much different, either.

The biggie will be the AF, the viewfinder, and video recording. If Pentax steps up the game with their contrast-detect system, the new mirrorless might focus faster. Also, we aren't sure whether or not the new mirrorless will have an EVF, but my guess is that it will, since the body itself will be about the same size as an SLR. This also suggests that Pentax will be focusing on performance with this body- but, as I said, we'll have to wait and see. It should be unveiled in less than 2 weeks now!

We also don't know whether or not you will need an adapter to use regular k-mount lenses with the new camera (in order to adjust the distance between the sensor and the lens). Since a new kit lens is being launched alongside the new mirrorless, I fear that this might be the case. And, if it is, we can only keep our fingers crossed that the adapter will fully support the KAF2/KAF3 mount.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd hold off for (probably only) 2 weeks and see what is announced.
01-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Not the same class the K-01 than the K-5 , I will buy the K-5 without any doubt

01-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
Buy now or wait and see what this K-Mount mirror-less is going to be like?
It all depends on the design of the upcoming camera, and then what you prefer to shoot.

Mirrorless (eg along the lines of the Sony NEX cameras) may not be that great for shooting (for example) sports or wildlife.

But yeah, wait a few weeks if you are uncertain.
01-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd say wait for the news of the new camera.
The MILC may do better for MF lenses with a larger EVF and/or MF aids.

No harm to just wait, since its so close to announcement.

I suspect it will mach the K5 in IQ as its rumored to use the same sensor.
Only unknown is how much creature comfort it affords with fast access buttons and features (ie. will it be similar or better than K5 in this respect?).
01-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

a mirrorless camera would be different no matter how you look at it.
If you want mirrorles you can wait if not you cn wait as well, the K5 is at his end of life anyway and new one to replace it will come.
So you can get a new one or the k5 cheap secondhand.

01-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
a mirrorless camera would be different no matter how you look at it.
If you want mirrorles you can wait if not you cn wait as well, the K5 is at his end of life anyway and new one to replace it will come.
So you can get a new one or the k5 cheap secondhand.
November 2006: K10D begins shipping to customers

February 2008: K20D....

July 2009: K-7.....

October 2010: K-5.......

"On average" a new high-end release every 16 months. Hmmm, let me see.....that would be February/March 2012......

Well, I wasn't too sure that the successor would be an APS-C DSLR so I bought my K-5 a week ago (while supplies last!).
01-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd wait and see unless you need the camera right away. If the K-01 is priced like the K-r (as a recent rumor suggests), then the K-5 price may go down, or the K-01 might be a better deal for your needs.

I'm actually in the same position you are and I'm going to wait for the full specs to be announced. No EVF, no SR, or long display lag would all be deal breakers for me. I use mainly MF lenses though, so lack of phase AF doesn't "phase" me. Nyuk.
01-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Wait two more weeks and buy the K5 - price can only go down, and you know what you will get. A mature camera (more or less).
01-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wait a couple of weeks and see. If no change then all you have lost is a couple of weeks use. But, it might drop to Cyber Monday levels $999 (my guess).
01-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #12

I just bought my K-5...absolutely no regrets...this thing is amazing. But I'm not really interested in a mirrorless system so I'm not really waiting on any sort of an announcement. I bought mine on Amazon for $1059...got it a week later.
01-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are really one of the people who see mirrorless cameras as the panacea for all that is wrong with photography, buy a mirrorless camera, though if you are going to insist on it being a Pentax, you might have a bit of a wait.
So far, I've not seen anything official from them that they have a mirrorless in the works, just the usual speculations and rumors that take on a life of their own and become pseudo facts for no reason other than wishes and horses.
If you just want or need a new camera, the K5 is a good choice.
01-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So far, I've not seen anything official from them that they have a mirrorless in the works, just the usual speculations and rumors that take on a life of their own and become pseudo facts for no reason other than wishes and horses.
The K-01 mirrorless rumor is a lot more solid than that.

Here's the latest tid bit. Seems the OP'er wont have to wait too long...

Pentax K-01 to be announced on February 2nd, 2012 | Photo Rumors
01-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Your options *might* be more than K-5 or the rumored K-01 mirrorless. It's still unclear where the K-01 fits into the Pentax lineup. Does it replace the K-r as an entry level K-mount? Or will Pentax have the K-01, mirrored K-r replacement, and mirrored K-5 replacement?

I suggest waiting a week to see what happens to the K-01 rumors.

Be prepared that whatever/whenever you purchase, something bettr may come out in the future ... but a good camera today is preferable to waiting forever.