Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
one of my flickr contacts sent this to me:

Pentax 14748 - K5 - Pentax - 16.3 Megapixel Digital Camera Body

I asked him if he was going to switch but no response.
I've been eyeing that up for over a week now, wondering what was coming next, when it was coming, and what it was going to cost. It's a really tough choice right now since I'm currently cameraless. A bag full of lenses and nothing to put them on.

01-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Funny I see the price goin g up soon
Funny, you'd be wrong.
01-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by plennon Quote
I just purchased a new K-5 body from B&H yesterday for a $1000. The website still says $1200, call for the lower price. My camera should arrive today, can't wait. I've been a Pentax film user for many years. I started with an ME-Super, my ZX-10 died last week. I'm looking forward to going digital.
Interesting. I'm ready to make that call and I'm curious about how you found out about that price. Did you call to order and they offered you the lower price? Or did you ask if there was a lower price?
01-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Boriscleto
I do know why you say I am wrong , the price in Canada is already under $1000 for 2 months now.s I do not expect price to go down from that level ($950-1000)

01-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #20

About a 2 weeks ago I was wondering what to do with the $300 rebate about to expire. I contacted B&H customer service and told them I was interested in the K-5 and asked what would happen if the price fell after I bought it. They emailed back that the price was guaranteed for 30 days. Good, but should I buy? I bought my very first camera at 42nd St., so I checked there and they had the K-5 for $1019. I replied to B&H, told them 42nd St. had the camera for $1019, not $1200; would they match? To my surprise they replied that their price was $999.95 and they sent me a formal quote.$1000 was my target price, so I said yes, but I needed some time to pick out incidentals. Monday I called and bought the camera, a flash and storage. I got everything for a bit less than the website price of the camera. Only the camera was less than the website posted price. I dealt with the same sales person via email and then called him when I was ready.

I guess you need to contact them and state the competitor's price. This afternoon I checked 42nd St. and their price was $979. Perhaps if you try what I did you can get the camera for even less than I did. Oh, shipping was free too!
02-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Generally speaking, the low point as far as price for a camera is right before the next body's release -- getting rid of stock, etc. The K5 is due for an update, but it sounds like that isn't going to happen for a little while. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if prices fall to 900-ish before all is said and done.
02-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Boriscleto
I do know why you say I am wrong , the price in Canada is already under $1000 for 2 months now.s I do not expect price to go down from that level ($950-1000)
The price may not go down much further until the replacement is announced, but it will certainly not be going up. The new K-01 will be priced around $700-750 with the new 40mm kit.

02-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #23
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked up a k-5 with the WR lens at Henry's in January when they had the sale prices, but you'll find they've bumped back up again. One issue at Henry's is that they had almost no Nikon stock because of the flooding in Thailand, so there was some incentive to push Pentax at that time as an alternative to Canon. The dealer I spoke to also seemed to imply that there were new reps in Canada who were trying to be more aggressive with the Pentax brand.

Pentax is running a 300 instant rebate until the end of March, so the price will stay lower than the original MSRP for some time, but not sure what will happen after that.