Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manual input

When I put one of my M lenses on my K5 I usually click through the menu to unput the focal length of the lens.

But a few weeks ago when I put one on the display on the screen prompted me to input the f.l. immediately without the fuss of navigating through the menu. At least I think it did. If I wasn't dreaming what did I do differently on that occasion?

I once bought my Spotmatic new, so perhaps I'm just getting to the age now that the mind is begining to play tricks.

02-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They should all prompt you, unless you turn on the camera and just start shooting, in which case the prompt goes away.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #3

Always have the camera turned OFF when changing the lens. When turning the camera back ON you will be prompt to input the FL.
02-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No. Doesn't happen.

I never change the lens with the camera switched on.

At the moment the F.L. is set to 200mm. Focus mode to manual and mode dial to M. I just tried my 20mm, 28mm, 50mm and 100mm. No prompt when I switched back on.

I set the dial to TAV and focus to AFS and nothing and then I tried all manual settings again. Still no prompt.

02-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #5

Maybe You have turned off shake reduction?
when SR is off there is no prompt for FL input
02-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No. SR is on.
02-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimD Quote
When I put one of my M lenses on my K5 I usually click through the menu to unput the focal length of the lens.

But a few weeks ago when I put one on the display on the screen prompted me to input the f.l. immediately without the fuss of navigating through the menu. At least I think it did. If I wasn't dreaming what did I do differently on that occasion?

I once bought my Spotmatic new, so perhaps I'm just getting to the age now that the mind is begining to play tricks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They should all prompt you, unless you turn on the camera and just start shooting, in which case the prompt goes away.

With genuine SMC Pentax M lenses and a K-5 you should surely be prompted every time you turn your camera on. Non-Pentax lenses with PK-mount can be "peculiar" with the K-5 if the mounts are oxidized / black-anodized and, hence, do not shorten the contacts on the K-5 body.

So, please tell us what specific lenses you are using --- and maybe try cleaning your K-5 contacts gently?

02-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
With genuine SMC Pentax M lenses and a K-5 you should surely be prompted every time you turn your camera on. Non-Pentax lenses with PK-mount can be "peculiar" with the K-5 if the mounts are oxidized / black-anodized and, hence, do not shorten the contacts on the K-5 body.

So, please tell us what specific lenses you are using --- and maybe try cleaning your K-5 contacts gently?

All SMC Pentax lenses: M20 f4, M28 f2.8, M50 f1.4, M100 f2.8, M200 f4 and K200 f4

The contacts on the camera are spotless and the lenses show now signs of dirt or oxidization.

I don't want to send the K5 back and then find that it's some anomoly in the menu ( not coming on because of another setting )

It's no big deal as I'm now into entering the F.L. habitually
02-01-2012, 02:42 AM   #9

i've just checked mine without any lens attached and it prompted to enter fl. FL is impotrtaint for SR proper operation.
02-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave216 Quote
i've just checked mine without any lens attached and it prompted to enter fl. FL is impotrtaint for SR proper operation.

I still enter the FL through the menu. So no problems with the SR.

I've just switched mine on without a lens. No prompt.

What settings was yours on Dave?
02-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #11

current settings are drive mode-single, using aperture ring-permited, exposure-manual
02-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

As already stated, with SR on you should be asked for focal length when the camera is turned on with an M-lens attached.
With SR off, you don't get the prompt. Are you sure SR in on?
02-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
As already stated, with SR on you should be asked for focal length when the camera is turned on with an M-lens attached.
With SR off, you don't get the prompt. Are you sure SR in on?

SR off - no prompt

SR on - no prompt
02-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave216 Quote
current settings are drive mode-single, using aperture ring-permited, exposure-manual

Same settings as I had. No prompt.

Thanks
02-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Take the lens off, put on the mount cap.
Turn camera on.

The contacts don't need to be shortened. Usually the M42's don't do it, and they are as manual as can be.
Octav