Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #1

k5 is too much?

hi! i am a new one , sorry for my english, i am from italy,
i would like to buy my first dslr : the pentax k5,
1) do you think is too much for a beginner?
2) the other choice is the canon rebel t3i (600d in europe) that is less then k5...
can you help me with any advice...thank you!
(sorry again for my english...)

02-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
Inactive Account

May I suggest the Pentax K-01!
02-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-5 is a fairly advanced camera, but how much is up to your previous experience. If you are familiar with the practice of shooting a DSLR or SLR, you will get the hang of it pretty quickly.

There is always the K-01 coming out soon. Probably a little less advanced than the K-5 and pretty much the same camera, minus a few little (or big) things, depending on your wants and needs. The price will be several hundred euro less than a new K-5 as well.

If you have absolutely no Pentax gear at all, then it is a toss up between Pentax and other brands...although I am not a fan of the cheap feeling T series (Rebel) line up Canon offers...

Jason
02-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by step91 Quote
hi! i am a new one , sorry for my english, i am from italy,
i would like to buy my first dslr : the pentax k5,
1) do you think is too much for a beginner?
2) the other choice is the canon rebel t3i (600d in europe) that is less then k5...
can you help me with any advice...thank you!
(sorry again for my english...)
Not much of a good advice, I know - but actually only YOU can answer to that.

The K-5 is not dificult to learn to use, even for a beginner, but it is fairly advanced with many options that a beginner may hardly know "what to do with" in the beginning. On the other hand, the K-5 is a camera that you can grow with for years.

So, before buying you have to ask yourself:

a. Why and for what will I need/like to have a DSLR? and from that:

b. Which features are "must have"; which are "nice to have" and which are "I dont really care"?

So, try tell us a bit of what you intend to use your DSLR for.

02-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Get the K5 and grow into it, Use it "green" and as you learn, the camera will serve you well in all of the other modes. The K5 now is a long term investment. There are folks that bought a K7 for their first. I still have my Kx (1st DSLR) and after a 2 years, and in may of 2011 bought my K5, and due to a job, I Just bought my second K5. I love this camera! I still have and use my Kx from time to time, but the K5 is just awesome.
02-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Forum Member

I also have a K-5 that I love very much. Now even the price has fallen to a pretty attractive level for this class of a camera. I feel that I have a lot more to learn that will keep me busy for years, which is great plus for me.

I would also add that one can for sure take great pics without knowing about all the extra features. Indeed you can start to use it in automatic (green) mode and learn gradually additional functions that you may or may not need. In any case, even in an all automatic mode you can make use of some nice features, like the weather sealing, the in-body image stabilisation or the ultra quiet shutter that you do not get with the canon 600d, which is a class below the K-5.
02-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-5 is as complex as you want it to be. Usually I shoot in TAv mode, which is so versatile. Keep the aperture in a middle range when in the field and adjust the shutter speed to keep the ISO at a good level and I get more "keepers" than "garbage." It seems I learn something new all the time, though, and have been trying to use old '70s vintage manual lenses in controlled environments.

The T3 is a less complex camera, more like the Kr from my perspective. If you aren't comfortable controlling the variables yourself it can be handy. I think if you're asking the question you're leaning toward the options the K-5 will give you. I'll add the ergonomics on the K-5 are very intuitive.

02-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #8

all i can say is, if you are really into photography and willing to spend time to learn it, k5 is great choice.

or else, if you are buying a dslr basically just to replace a better point and shoot, it's better to get some entry level dslr for your bucks.
02-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No, the K5 ain't too much. In my opinion, it's just as much as an entrylevel camera. It does lack scene modes but with a little understanding of photography principles you will not miss them. Also, you don't have to use all the functionality that is there; I, for one, definitely don't.

QuoteOriginally posted by ScreamingIdiot Quote
May I suggest the Pentax K-01!
Not really OP indicates dSLR, not mirrorless.
02-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
thank you to everyone!
i have finally decided to buy the k5...! i will learn!
02-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

step91

The K-5 is a great choice for a first DSLR. It is a camera that you can definitely grow into. The price is very good at the moment too.
02-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #12

I just joined this forum and I too was in same situation as the OP. I bought this camera for my upcoming trip to Italy. I know this camera is too much for my current level as my previous camera was simple point and shoot. However, I am thinking of going into Photography as my hobby and this camera would grow with me a an amateur photographer. I like the fact that K-5 is very durable and weather resistant. With all the glowing reviews that it receives, I have no idea why it doesn't get more publicity.

Can anyone recommend all around good lens kit for my K-5? I currently have basic 18-55mm Lens kit. But, I want to have a better single lens that I can take it to Italy with good indoor (Museum/Architecture/sight-seeing) capabilities.

Thanks
02-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
Forum Member

Great decision Step91! Welcome in the K5 family!
02-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Step91, good choice... you will like the ergonomics of the k-5 while getting the best APS-C sensor currently available.
02-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tada Quote

Can anyone recommend all around good lens kit for my K-5? I currently have basic 18-55mm Lens kit. But, I want to have a better single lens that I can take it to Italy with good indoor (Museum/Architecture/sight-seeing)
If you prefer a prime lens I would like to recommend the FA31. Good for indoors with f1.8, great sharpness and if Pentax ever releases a FF camera it will be compatible with this as well. Of course, lens choices are very personal, and you might prefer a zoom lens, but as far as primes go you'll be hard pressed to find someone that is disappointed with the '31.