Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 - Face recognition feature for anything else but "faces"?

I've never used that feature - and probably should give it a go - and was wondering if anyone uses it for other than "face recognition"?

By the same token do you find this feature useful at all ?

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 02-03-2012 at 08:28 PM.
02-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That is new to me, where is this setting found on the Menu? Thanks
02-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #3

It's only available in Live View where you can select the Auto-focus Method.
02-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It automaticly tries to recognize faces, it works quite well if they look into the camera.
So other uses... well no since it only works with faces.

02-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
That is new to me, where is this setting found on the Menu? Thanks
It was new to me too up to recently.

Here, have a look at this:

Pentax K-5 Camera Liveview - Full Review

Cheers.

JP
02-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGold Quote
It's only available in Live View where you can select the Auto-focus Method.
Thanks RGold ... got it !

JP
02-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
It automaticly tries to recognize faces, it works quite well if they look into the camera.
So other uses... well no since it only works with faces.
Yeah .. I figured "face recognition" would hopefully recognize faces but my question was that if it could have a use for something other than faces.
Obviously, it doesn't now does it?

Cheers.

JP
02-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Yeah .. I figured "face recognition" would hopefully recognize faces but my question was that if it could have a use for something other than faces.
My W90 has "pet recognition" as part of the same feature where it waits to trip the shutter until your dog or cat is looking at the camera! Nuts!

02-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
My W90 has "pet recognition" as part of the same feature where it waits to trip the shutter until your dog or cat is looking at the camera! Nuts!
Gotcha, but since I am asking whether the K5 face recognition is good for anything else other than faces ... where's the correlation between your W90 "pet recognition" vs. the K5 "face recognition" ?
And, do you use this W90 feature on other-than-pets?

JP
02-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #10

it makes taking pictures with statues not looking at you tricky...
02-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Gotcha, but since I am asking whether the K5 face recognition is good for anything else other than faces ... where's the correlation between your W90 "pet recognition" vs. the K5 "face recognition" ?
And, do you use this W90 feature on other-than-pets?
The W90 system is "programmable" in the sense that you can point it at your pet, and when it turns its head toward the camera, the system can add it to the gallery of "recognized faces." Then it delays the shutter until the face turns toward the camera, and it follows it for focus priority like the K-5 can. I use the (separate) face-detection on the W90 for pictures of my kid all the time, since there is a such a shutter-delay anyhow...

Just found that it doesn't work on chameleons or fish, but now some greyhound on youtube can be recognized and tracked by my W90! Also didn't work on photos of animals (since they can't turn their head) or on inanimate objects (skull-shaped bottle of vodka - Crystal Head, yum!).

I take it you were curious if it would work on inanimate objects? If you have a K-5 give it a try, it's pretty easy to turn on and understand.
02-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K5 will try to find a face or something that looks like a face. If it is a face it will try to tack it for when you tell it to refocus. This will be a yellow square around the face. If it can't do this it will fall back to center point focus but you can still use the arrow keys to change where the focus point is and then it will try to focus there. This will be a white square. There is not much of a down side to using face recognizance unless you have lot of faces and it keeps picking the wrong face. It works best if the face is full on and not to small. When it works it is kind of cool. Give is a try for street photography.

DAZ
02-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Did someone mention fish? Last year I caught a trophy fish. Instead of focussing on the fish the k5 focus on my face, apparently my buddy isn't a photographer. I wonder is they any setting in our k5 that can set to focus the front most subject?