Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #1

Auto ISO parameter, what is it?

Was playing with using Auto ISO for a Eagle shoot next weekend and thought of using TAv while letting the ISO to float. Not sure if this is the best but that is not my question. Under the Auto ISO setting is the option to change the sensitivity. The manual just says to pick which one you want without saying what it is you are picking. Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Dave

02-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hey Dave

Not sure which camera you are using, but on my 10D I hit the Fn button, control left, and back wheel past 1600 to the auto settings, same wheel lets you select the parameters. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

MJ
02-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Under the Auto ISO setting is the option to change the sensitivity. The manual just says to pick which one you want without saying what it is you are picking. Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Dave
Do you mean the "Slow" - "Fast" option?
When you choose "Fast", it means that the camera is trying to maintain a "fast" speed, so going up with the ISO around one stop earlier compared to "normal".
E.g.
normal f2.8 1/125 ISO 100
fast f2.8 1/250 ISO 200.
02-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #4

In Av mode it works as below:
fast is biased towards faster shutter speeds and therefore faster subjects
slow is biased towards lower ISO and slower shutter speeds
The shutter speed is selected based on the focal length in order to reduce camera shake

I can't work out what affect if any it would have in either Tv or TAv modes - perhaps someone else knows this?

To answer your first point - Using TAv mode with auto ISO is one of the greatest things about Pentax imo - a great balance between control and speed of use.

02-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Darren Quote
Using TAv mode with auto ISO is one of the greatest things about Pentax imo - a great balance between control and speed of use.
TAv mode is my favorite thing about my K-5, I wish my K-R had it.
02-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the explanation. So if I use Av then it will assist with shutter speed staying faster, if set to fast. I see that it would have no effect in TAv made as I am choosing both aperture and shutter speed and just letting the ISO float. This makes sense. Now bring on the eagles.