Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Everybody hijacks the thread because new Pentax firmware never brought new features. No hope. Ok, a little but you have to ask on a Ricoh forum then
Besides adding support to SDHC SD-cards.
And adding SDM support for the K10D
And adding feature to change the ISO with the bacl e-dail while pressing the OK button for the K10D
Adding SDXC support for variou camera.
Adding GPS with the GPS module and atro tracking for some.

02-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I got a dSLR because I want and prefer to use the optical viewfinder.
Same. I only use Live-view when using my A50/1.2 or when I shoot video. IMO this is where Focus Peaking would be very handy. Given it is now included in the K-01, but unlikely to be added to K-5 via new firmware, then will be interesting to see if Pentax-Ricoh include it in future DSLRs as well.
02-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
Same. I only use Live-view when using my A50/1.2 or when I shoot video. IMO this is where Focus Peaking would be very handy. Given it is now included in the K-01, but unlikely to be added to K-5 via new firmware, then will be interesting to see if Pentax-Ricoh include it in future DSLRs as well.
It's just software, it would take them more effort for taking it out of the firmware instead of letting it in.
Also the manual controls in video is something to look forward to.
02-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
Pentaxian

While I admit that focus peeking would be amazing on the K-5, I have my doubts as to whether or not it's possible to add such a feature via firmware.

Having said that, I think there maybe something far easier to implement on the K-5 that would really help with MF. And that would be a momentary/hold magnification option. That is to say that we could press and hold focus magnification so as to fine tune focus and quickly return to a full view and resume composition. Which is far better than pressing a button to engage magnification, zooming in then pressing the button again to zoom out. Which takes far too much time and effort to be practical imo.

FTR. I've mentioned this to Pentax before, but I don't think the idea was fully understood. Nevertheless, I think it's highly possible that they could do this in a firmware.

PS. the "quick magnification" level could be adjustable via menu: 1x, 2x , 5x etc.

02-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A 2x zoom window within the full view window would be the most ideal.
The G3 has this, and its far better as one can keep composition while the zoom window allows better focus in the area of interest.

Ricoh for its GXR has very good firmware support and updates. So hopefully that practice gets brought over to Pentax.
Adding it would also extend the viability and sale life of the K5 on the market vs the competition, so its not a bad thing either
02-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
Col
Veteran Member

I suspect focus peaking has to be built into the image processor and is part of the Prime-M specification/circuitry.

(I assume it can only show the focal plane... if it can incorporate depth of field that would be something.)

Last edited by Col; 02-20-2012 at 04:01 PM.
02-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My brother-in-law has a Canon 550d (T2i) with the Magic Lantern Firmware hack. The hack adds focus peaking in live view along with HDR shooting in video. If you know, those cameras never had focus peaking built in, but they somehow did it through the firmware hack. It would be cool if we could see something like that done for the K-5, but it doesn't seem like there's a user base to warrant the effort in contrast to Canon.
02-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
While I admit that focus peeking would be amazing on the K-5, I have my doubts as to whether or not it's possible to add such a feature via firmware.
It's just software so yes they could.

Focus peaking works by "highlighting" the high contrast areas.

02-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Besides adding support to SDHC SD-cards.
And adding SDM support for the K10D
And adding feature to change the ISO with the bacl e-dail while pressing the OK button for the K10D
Adding SDXC support for variou camera.
Adding GPS with the GPS module and atro tracking for some.
One of the biggest feature update through firmware was auto-ISO on *ist-DS.

But I doubt that Pentax will add focus peaking with firmware update for older DSLR, though I expect they will make it available on future DSLR (together with other improvements from K-01).
02-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm hoping that Ricoh will be more open with their firmware and maybe even release a SDK for it, this way "we" can change firmware to our likings and maybe add things.
Do someone know if they are open with their firmware?
02-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can zoom in during live view on the K-5; however, with SLRs the best solution is a split-screen focusing screen. Can't do that on a MILC
I really have to disagree with you there, Adam. I have a split prism screen on my K-7, which is great for improving focus accuracy for any on the fly handheld shooting. But when I really want critical focus and I have a tripod on hand or am doing macro, the split prism can't hold a candle to LV + magnification. ESPECIALLY in any sort of low light.
02-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #27
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
Adam, who do I complain to when the Site Moderator hijacks my thread?
Our friendly staff is always ready to assist you!

Last edited by Parallax; 04-10-2013 at 08:31 AM.
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I have my doubts as to whether or not it's possible to add such a feature via firmware.
How else would it be done?
What hardware component is missing to prevent it?
02-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #29
Site Supporter

I like using LV with magnification...but its such a battery drainer that its a deterrent for me.
03-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Don't the split-screen focusing screen have a performance impact on AF? If so, that's why they're not stock.
Focusing screens cannot impact AF performance. These are two different light paths.

The reason why most stock focusing screens are not good for manual focusing is that better suited screens become rather dark with slow lenses, such as the kit lens or super zooms and manufacturers reckon that users using such lenses should have a bright viewfinder.

The split screen portion in the centre even blacks out after a certain f-ratio.

Furthermore, split screens can mess with the camera's metering.

AF, however, will be not affected.