Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

focus peaking on the K-5

One of the new useful features being discussed on the K-01 forum is 'focus peaking'.

If, like me, you didn't really know what this is, 'focus peaking' highlights the in-focus areas on the LCD in much the same way as you can show blown highlights and dark areas.

This makes manual focusing very quick and easy and is becoming a standard feature on MILC (like NEX and K-01) which lack a real viewfinder.

But this would also be a great feature on the K-5 in at least two scenarios:

1. using older (MF) large aperture lenses (like 50/1.2) where it can be difficult to consistently achieve accurate focus. Using live-view and digital magnification is usually more accurate than the viewfinder but is slow and means you can't see/compose the whole image on the LCD.

2. for shooting video, where pulling and pushing focus can be clumsy and very hit and miss

Does anyone have a view on how likely it might be that 'focus peaking' could be added to the K-5 via firmware update?

Or is new functionality of any kind now increasingly unlikely, and held off for new models etc?

02-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can zoom in during live view on the K-5; however, with SLRs the best solution is a split-screen focusing screen. Can't do that on a MILC

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
the best solution is a split-screen focusing screen
I'm stunned that a focusing screen doesn't come stock - I never realized how useful it would be until I started playing with the K1000 which has a marvelous focus screen. Having briefly tasted the features of a Nikon D70s I find it lacking on my Kr now.

Sounds like you have some pull with corporate Adam - what are the chances these new 100% OVF's that are coming in the K-3 and K-300 will also be equipped with useful focus screens?

02-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

Lol there is a K300??

02-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going with the rumors..... LOL
02-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, zoom in during live view is what I do. I also use a Tenpa magnifier and have considered getting a Katzeye, but focus peaking would be more useful, or a least convenient, in some situations, IMO.

Not my intention to trigger discussion around the relative merit of various focusing techniques, but moreso whether we think we can still expect new functionality for the K-5 via firmware or just minimal support. Everyone has their own firmware wishlist, and focus peaking was just something that 'piqued' my interest.
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Don't the split-screen focusing screen have a performance impact on AF? If so, that's why they're not stock. Plus, most people don't focus manually!

A big viewfinder with an OEM split-screen option would be welcome, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A big viewfinder with an OEM split-screen option would be welcome, though
Thumbs up here on that one.
02-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
Adam and Matt,

All interesting, but any thoughts about Firmware upgrades delivering NEW functionality (Focus Peaking is just an example), which is the intended topic of my question please
02-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You can zoom in during live view on the K-5; however, with SLRs the best solution is a split-screen focusing screen. Can't do that on a MILC
Split screens in K-5 lose the spot metering. I have a Canon S screen modded for my K-5 that works pretty well although it's still not as crisp as a split screen would be. It does allow seeing DOF on fast lenses though.
02-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hi Guys, I originated this thread. Apparently my question wasn't clear enough despite my attempted clarification. Thanks anyway.

Adam, who do I complain to when the Site Moderator hijacks my thread?
02-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
Hi Guys, I originated this thread. Apparently my question wasn't clear enough despite my attempted clarification. Thanks anyway.

Adam, who do I complain to when the Site Moderator hijacks my thread?
Everybody hijacks the thread because new Pentax firmware never brought new features. No hope. Ok, a little but you have to ask on a Ricoh forum then
02-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I'm the wrong guy to ask Kennod, I hate all the noise and delays associated with live view on my K-r. I have young eyes, and used the OVF 99% of the time. The rare occasion that I use Live view is while taking photographs with the Pentax K-mount Microscope adapter.
02-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Everybody hijacks the thread because new Pentax firmware never brought new features. No hope. Ok, a little but you have to ask on a Ricoh forum then
Thanks falconeye for a 'back on topic' response
02-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
Does anyone have a view on how likely it might be that 'focus peaking' could be added to the K-5 via firmware update?

Or is new functionality of any kind now increasingly unlikely, and held off for new models etc?
It probably is a software implementation, meaning that focus peaking could be added to the K-5 via a firmware update, but whether they'd want to add such a feature to a camera that is probably going to be replaced sometime soon is anyone's guess...

Another thing is that this peaking will only be available whilst using the rear LCD, i.e. Live View or when reviewing files. I got a dSLR because I want and prefer to use the optical viewfinder, and there may be others like me...