Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

John is asking for advice? O_O

Seriously, the flash is highly regarded amongst users, and seems to be an excellent alternative to Pentax options.

And I'd stay away from vendors that don't accept returns, even on "dodgy" items. It's like there are no other places that sell csmera gear.

Would you mind telling us the price?

04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Hi, please could you tell me if you have used the flash as a slave using the built-in flash as a master or commander? thanks in advance
04-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it the 44 AF-1 works fine as slave with the built-in flash as master. Never had any problems here.
04-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Yes, it the 44 AF-1 works fine as slave with the built-in flash as master. Never had any problems here.
I second that ... no problems with my combo ... J

04-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #20

thanks guys,
08-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #21

Hi,

I was on the same boat, K5 + Metz 44 AF-1 however I struggle to setup wireless flash. I've been reading K5 manual as well as Metz guide however for some reason it does fire. What I'm doing is:
1- Set K5 flash to Wireless. I confirm CH1 is displayed in viewfinder.
2- Turn Merz 44 on and put to SLAVE. I see the red light blinking which looks promising.
3- Check C21 option to confirm built-in flash is Master (rather than Control)
4- Press flash button to pop up built-in flash
5- On M or P, point-n-shoot
6- Built-in flash fires but no reaction from Merz

Am I missing something here?

Cheers

P.s. I just moved out of canon ecosystem to Pentax. This forum feels like new home
08-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by James78 Quote
Hi,

I was on the same boat, K5 + Metz 44 AF-1 however I struggle to setup wireless flash. I've been reading K5 manual as well as Metz guide however for some reason it does fire. What I'm doing is:
2- Turn Merz 44 on and put to SLAVE. I see the red light blinking which looks promising.

Cheers

P.s. I just moved out of canon ecosystem to Pentax. This forum feels like new home
Hi,

I have ended up with Metz 52 but have you got TTL on, on your flash? (if relevant)
08-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Hi,

Cheers

HI James, and welcome - and yes PentaxForums is indeed (mostly) a very friendly, constructive and helful forum. .

Well, now to your problem: You got things almost right, but in the Customs Setting meny you will need to set C21 to 2-Off and have the built-in flash serve as controller - then it works as it should.

08-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by SkilakDeZoo Quote
Hi,

I have ended up with Metz 52 but have you got TTL on, on your flash? (if relevant)
Hi, yes, I tried TTL and also Manual with no luck. For TTL I pressed the Metz 44 TTL button instead of SLAVE.

---------- Post added 08-12-14 at 03:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
HI James, and welcome - and yes PentaxForums is indeed (mostly) a very friendly, constructive and helful forum. .

Well, now to your problem: You got things almost right, but in the Customs Setting meny you will need to set C21 to 2-Off and have the built-in flash serve as controller - then it works as it should.
Hi,

2 quick replies tells much by itself thanks.
Does setting C21 to Control mean built-in flash won't fire and only the wireless Metz would discharges?

Cheers
08-13-2014, 01:17 AM   #25

Hi, yes, I tried TTL and also Manual with no luck. For TTL I pressed the Metz 44 TTL button instead of SLAVE.

---------- Post added 08-12-14 at 03:07 PM ----------

Hi,

2 quick replies tells much by itself thanks.
Does setting C21 to Control mean built-in flash won't fire and only the wireless Metz would discharges?

Cheers
Hi, I tried with C21 both On and Off with setting Metz 44 to TTL/Slave/M with no luck. Thought?
08-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #26
Site Supporter

That is correct. The built-in flash will only emit some dim control signals.

Ref.: Page 95 in the Metz-44 manual (7. Remote slave flash mode)
Ref.: Page 190 in the K-5 manual (Setting the Channel for the External Flash)

I belive that the reason you cannot use the built-in K-5 flash as Master with the Metz-44 has to do with that Pentax assumes the external flash should be 'programable' via the hot-shoe connection.
08-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #27

Hi, I tried with C21 both On and Off with setting Metz 44 to TTL/Slave/M with no luck. Thought?
Hi, I tried all combinations of C21 On and Off with Metz 44 set to TTL/Slave and even manual. No luck! Any idea what could be wrong?
08-15-2014, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #28

Hi, I tried all combinations of C21 On and Off with Metz 44 set to TTL/Slave and even manual. No luck! Any idea what could be wrong?
Hi, silly me I just realised my Metz 44 is Canon mount and I cannot attach to my K5. Did I mention I just left Canon for Pentax?

Pentax hot-shoe looks like this:

And Canon is like this:

Now I will have to replace my Metz 44 with something that has Pentax mount. However, I'm pondering whether differences are more than just mounts and maybe wireless behaviour is different for Canon vs Pentax and this Metz is adjusted to work with Canon?
08-15-2014, 03:45 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Now I will have to replace my Metz 44 with something that has Pentax mount. However, I'm pondering whether differences are more than just mounts and maybe wireless behaviour is different for Canon vs Pentax and this Metz is adjusted to work with Canon?
If you can live with the limitations of the Metz 44 (no HSS and built-in flash works as controller only), I still think this is a cost-effective, robust and very easy to use option.

If you want the full versatility of the Pentax flash system, you should probably take a look at these:

PENTAX AF 360FGZ II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

PENTAX AF 540FGZ II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database