Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #1

Pentax k5 with 50mm 1:1.7 and shutter speed

I'm sure this is a dumb question and has been asked several times but here it goes. I have a Pentax K5 and an Asahi SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm lens. I know how to set the aperture but I can't seem to set the shutter speed. The only time it changes is when I push the green button. Is there a way to change it manually? Thanks for your help.

02-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Make sure you have the mode dial set to M, then use the front e-dial to select your shutter speed, aperture is set via the aperture ring on the lens in any lens that doesn't have the A setting (such as the M series).
02-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. I feel like such an idiot. I had it in M but I forgot about the front dial. I just recently switched to the K5 from the K100D. A big jump and I'm still getting used to all the extra buttons and features. Thanks for being kind to an idiot.
02-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the full guide to shooting manual lenses

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by smack1019 Quote
Thanks. I feel like such an idiot. I had it in M but I forgot about the front dial. I just recently switched to the K5 from the K100D. A big jump and I'm still getting used to all the extra buttons and features. Thanks for being kind to an idiot.
Don't beat yourself up about it, I shot with a K110D and a K200D before steeping up to the K5 and it took me a while to start using the front dial without having to think about it consciously. No one on Pentax forums would think you're an idiot for asking an honest question. We're all here to learn and we're all here to help.
02-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #6

I have made a user setting for MF, I have moved shutter speed to the back e-dial so I can meter with DOF preview mode (index finger) and change shutter speed (thumb).

And you are not an idiot. You have a Pentax.
02-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
I have made a user setting for MF, I have moved shutter speed to the back e-dial so I can meter with DOF preview mode (index finger) and change shutter speed (thumb).

Bonjour,

Ditto ... I have done the same for the rear e-dial (+ aperture for the front) ... and you customize the same for the other settings, Tv, Tav, etc., as well.

And agreed ... definitely no idiocy here ... it's a Pentax!

Allez et salut - J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-08-2012 at 11:10 AM.
02-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #8

There's a saying that when you assume something, you make an "ass" of "u" and "me". Well, I assumed that I could set shutter speed manually with the e-dial with my SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm lens. Then I read this thread only to find out that I assumed wrong. Put camera in manual, set aperture with the ring, press green button, and bingo. I learn something new about my K-5 every day. Still wish it had tethering option.

03-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #9

Have spent the weekend trying to bond with my new baby, named K-5. I have a couple M-lenses from my old MX (along with a new DA 55-300). I flipped the front & rear dial to adjust shutter as you said, and it is more convenient. What is the advantage of creating a user mode for this? Are there other settings you saved in your "MF" user mode?
03-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ElKay23 Quote
What is the advantage of creating a user mode for this? Are there other settings you saved in your "MF" user mode?
Well not really, I like to keep shutter speed on the front dial in M mode when I use a AF lens, to keep a constancy through the modes and because shutter speed is on the top of the display.

There could be some settings that would be convenient when shooting with a MF lens. I have made some custom ISO NR, that's all.
03-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I use my middle finger on the front e-dial, and index finger to hold down DOF preview. That's on the K10D, I don't think it will let me change e-dial in User mode.