Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-5 earns it's keep. I got a gallery deal !

Totally unexpected and based purely on the encouragement of others I have, at the first attempt, sold some work to a local gallery. I say sold, they will be framed and hung with a view to being purchased but that is a MASSIVE leap from just having them stuck in Lightroom. I had no ambition for this to happen and simply take photos for the varying areas of enjoyment the hobby covers so I'm doubly thrilled that this relaxed approach has been so well received !!!

So a nod of thanks to all that post on this forum as much of my ever expanding knowledge and skill comes directly from comments and advice written across all the threads I obsessively digest. And thanks to my K-5 and lenses !!!!

One of the chosen few:

Attached Images

Last edited by London Rob; 02-08-2012 at 07:49 AM.
02-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats, it's got "mood" to it good for home/office decor, you should try stock.
02-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats and good luck!
02-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by London Rob Quote
Totally unexpected and based purely on the encouragement of others I have, at the first attempt, sold some work to a local gallery. I say sold, they will be framed and hung with a view to being purchased but that is a MASSIVE leap from just having them stuck in Lightroom. I had no ambition for this to happen and simply take photos for the varying areas of enjoyment the hobby covers so I'm doubly thrilled that this relaxed approach has been so well received !!!

So a nod of thanks to all that post on this forum as much of my ever expanding knowledge and skill comes directly from comments and advice written across all the threads I obsessively digest. And thanks to my K-5 and lenses !!!!

One of the chosen few:
Congratz! But be careful. Once you get a taste you will be addicted. You will want to sell more, more, more...... Success is a crazy drug. Wandering the streets with a camera looking for the next fix.......

02-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats and good luck. There's nothing in that posted shot that a K-r or K-x couldn't handle, though. So give yourself a bit more credit.
02-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thats great...good luck
Can I ask what size the prints are?
02-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Very cool; that'd be a next level to strive for in my photography!

02-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Congratulations, that's so nice to hear
Keep it up, have fun and good luck with the gallery pics!
02-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the good will guys and gals, this is a first for me (in this field at least) so I'm understandably proper excited but also old and wise enough to not get bothered if there's a few hiccups along the way. Oddly the posted shot, which isn't my favourite of the bunch, was on my first trip out with the K-5 and an out of the box Jpeg taken with the kit lens. I'd come from the K-x so had a decent take on how the k-5 would handle.

The difference for me is that the K-x would have stayed in my room that day as it was taken at the end of drizzly afternoon walking along a spray sodden beach. And that's what a more solidly built weather sealed body does for me. It stops me thinking about the technology and protecting it so I can just work it and push it and clearly with a K-5 rely upon it. The k-5 comes out with me virtually every day, the K-x although wonderful always challenged my confidence due to it's plastic build.

The shots will be printed at a3 or thereabouts as some are cropped slightly out of format.
And yes, I can see this becoming addictive and of course one is now starting to sow the seeds of persuasion with the wife that any profit generated should be "invested in the long term possibilities of this new career path"
Specifically a Sigma 85 1.4. Or a Da 70 ltd. Or a..........

Last edited by London Rob; 02-08-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling
02-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...starting to sow the seeds of persuasion with the wife that any profit generated should be "invested in the long term possibilities of this new career path"
You are doomed... <sigh>

02-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the good will guys and gals, this is a first for me (in this field at least) so I'm understandably proper excited but also old and wise enough to not get bothered if there's a few hiccups along the way. Oddly the posted shot, which isn't my favourite of the bunch, was on my first trip out with the K-5 and an out of the box Jpeg taken with the kit lens. I'd come from the K-x so had a decent take on how the k-5 would handle.

The difference for me is that the K-x would have stayed in my room that day as it was taken at the end of drizzly afternoon walking along a spray sodden beach. And that's what a more solidly built weather sealed body does for me. It stops me thinking about the technology and protecting it so I can just work it and push it and clearly with a K-5 rely upon it. The k-5 comes out with me virtually every day, the K-x although wonderful always challenged my confidence due to it's plastic build.

The shots will be printed at a3 or thereabouts as some are cropped slightly out of format.
And yes, I can see this becoming addictive and of course one is now starting to sow the seeds of persuasion with the wife that any profit generated should be "invested in the long term possibilities of this new career path"
Already looking for the next fix.....
02-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #12

Congrats Rob!

Can I ask how you got in touch with the gallery...or where they saw your photos? I'm building up a portfolio of my best shots and I've been thinking about trying to make a little money on the side.

Just wondering how yours came about...
02-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Banned

Congratulations.
02-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

One of the chosen few:
Nice one matey
You will never forget selling your first pic.... I still have a copy of my first hanging on the wall after 30 summit years lol. Knock em dead !
02-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Col
Veteran Member

Congratulations... just don't tell me where the gallery is, as it looks like something I would buy.