Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #1

If you were me...

I am really psyched about my new K-5 with the 18-55 WR lens. One reason I went this direction is because my family and I are going to the boundary waters this July - one never knows the weather up there. Anyhow, since I would like to get the best pictures that I am capable of, I was thinking of the 18-135 WR. But you see, I'm cheap (er, frugal), and open to your suggestions regarding other possibilities. I would prefer not changing lenses while on the water fishing. Also, I do like walking in the woods, traveling, etc. (my gosh, it sounds like a dating ad!). So, I would appreciate your insights. I am not necessarily itching to buy, but if you think that there is a lens or some lenses that would be good for me, please let me know. If you think I am all wet, let me know that as well.

Thanks,
Rich

02-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A K5 with the DA18-55WR and the DA50-200WR would be great companions on any trip. Even the DA18-135 WR and the 50-200WR are great companions.
02-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I were you, I'd use the WR kit lens for now and wait to see what the newly announced 18-250mm turns out to be. We don't know if it will be WR or not. The 18-135mm duplicates much of what you have now, it only makes sense if you want a one lens solution. IMHO, you need a WATERPROOF bag to store your camera gear while traveling from island to island. I've been to boundary waters and a swamped canoe could destroy your K-5, it's weather resistant, not water proof.
02-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I trust the WR of my K20D, but still carry a couple of these in my vest. Sounds like a great trip, have fun!

02-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Hey Rick,

Do you plan to do a lot of portaging while in the BW? Not sure how old the members of your family are, but weight is a very important consideration to make when portaging. If your family members are strong enough to carry their packs themselves you'll probably be fine with whatever gear you decide to bring. Having been to the BW a few times, I would pack as light as you can, camera gear included. There is nothing like carrying a 50lb canoe up hill with your pack strapped on...and your quads and shoulders screaming the entire time!

Something of the WR variety would be good, as you state. The 18-135 would probably do well, giving you a bit of a wide angle on the short end and telephoto on the long end. I don't have this lens and so cannot attest to its overall IQ.

A water-sealed bag is also a good idea. It does make the camera a bit more inconvenient to reach while in the canoe, but yeah, no one wants to dump their new (or old, for that matter) K5 overboard and have it fried.

The BW is definitely one of my favorite places to visit. Do you have a route picked out already?

Whatever you decide, have a great time!
02-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K5 with the 18-135 WR and can certainly recommend it.................the 18-55 kit WR is a pretty good lens, so you'll not miss much if you go with that, also....
02-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i couldn't find anything on the 18-250...do you have a thread where it is discussed..thanks, amy

02-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The 18-135 is a bit better than the kit lens in it's range. I'd go with something longer. I have lots of great images taken with the kit lens, it's just not so bad you need to replace it. At this point I'm thinking of trading in my kit and 18-135 for a DA* 16-50. At some point image quality becomes of interest. Problem is I like WR as well, and the DA* isn't WR.

By the way... I was in Quetico 30 years ago. It was the death of my first telephoto zoom which may have been a screw mount 70-150., it got a bit of moisture in it and then mold, so, I'm with you one the need for WR up there all the way. People who haven't been to that part of the country have no concept of how fast a violent storm can blow in and how fast it can leave. I'd say a Pelican case or equivalent is just as important as a WR camera. When bad weather comes, you throw the camera in the case, seal it up with the two latches and your camera is safe and just as importantly, your mind is at ease. You and the rest of your gear may get soaked, but your camera is safe and dry.

To me that 50-200 WR looks perfect for what you're describing, and sincs perfectly with the 18-55.
02-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Problem is I like WR as well, and the DA* isn't WR.
All DA* lenses are WR. That's one reason they are more expensive.
02-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

OH ya, that was my excuse for not looking a it more closely, you're jut trying to make my life more difficult.
02-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i couldn't find anything on the 18-250...do you have a thread where it is discussed..thanks, amy
There are 36 reviews in the Lenses database.

SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

RioRico will tell you endlessly how he prefers it to the combination of the 18-55 and 55-300 because he does most of his shooting between 35 and 70.
02-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I kayak,fish, hike, backpack, ski, etc, probably most of the same activities you do. I have a decent sized lens collection, none of which are weather sealed lenses. With a little bit of common sense care, you can carry your camera and shoot in nearly any condition. I have a dry bag for the kayak which I will put the camera in if it gets rough out but mostly the camera is around my neck and ready as I'm paddling on flat water. I don't change lenses in the rain or snow but I've changed them just about everywhere, including the kayak. Yes, there's always a risk. A rugged waterproof camera is on my list but so far, I haven't found one to my liking. The Go Pro is one I'm considering. I will always have my DA 15 along and either the 18-55 kit lens or my 28/3.5 Tak. In the kayak, I bring a telephoto because I'm usually chasing birds. An essential for me is a lens with good close up or macro capability. My Sigma 70-300 fills those shoes on the water although for hiking, I'll often use one of my Taks and an extension tube for close ups. My most recent accessory is the Cotton Carrier, a camera carrying system which is a mesh vest and holds your camera at your chest and not swinging around and bumping into things. It's perfect in the boat and especially for skiing. You can carry the camera all day without it (literally!) being a pain in the neck.
02-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

+1 for the Sigma 70-300. Oh, I forgot about my Sigma 70-300 macro. When I only had two lenses, this was one of them.. and the macro capability was the big selling point. YOu can probably pick one up second hand for $150.
02-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amber waters Quote
There is nothing like carrying a 50lb canoe up hill with your pack strapped on...and your quads and shoulders screaming the entire time!
Heh! You must have sprung for Kevlar. Try portaging a 75 pound 18.5' Quetico Cruiser and a Granite bag and Kondos bag for 14 days!

On the upside, we were three to a canoe so we made our portages in one trip. Our longest portage was only 226 rods.
02-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #15

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks so much for these great ideas - and keep 'em coming!

We are going to be in Ely at a fishing cabin. We are renting fishing boats - no canoes here. Although, maybe I will think of that for just an early morning jaunt.

A bit off topic: I realize that there will be insects, but what is the general population of mosquitos in the middle of July (temp and precip being about average.)?

Maybe I need to think about a two lens (or more) solution - and definitely beginning to research some waterproof bags.

All of you have been so helpful and gracious - thanks!

Rich