Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 front wheel "sticking" at low temps

I bought one of the first K5s, Dec 2010, and later had it swapped for a new one because it had the infamous "string of pearls" sensor contamination.

The original also had sticky wheels - both front and back ones. As one adjusted e.g. the shutter speed it would skip some values and sometimes go up and then down even though the wheel was turned in the same direction.

I have just taken my K5 out, in temps of about 0C, and the front wheel was barely working. As it warmed up, it was OK.

The camera is now out of warranty...

With this issue on 2 out of 2 cameras, it probably isn't exactly rare.

Is there a fix for it which actually works, and does anyone know roughly how much Pentax would charge for it?

Otherwise, it is a great camera I had the K200D and the IST-DL before that. The K5 improves on the K200D usefully, with its higher usable ISO settings which make the TAV mode useful for most shooting.

02-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
PFH
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Last week end I was out with my K-5 in -17C, no problems.
I never had any problems with my K-7 either.
02-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
I bought one of the first K5s, Dec 2010, and later had it swapped for a new one because it had the infamous "string of pearls" sensor contamination.
Where did you buy it from?

2 year warranty in the UK if bought from a Pentax pro dealer.
02-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Park Cameras, Burgess Hill, UK.

Unfortunately there is no way to replicate this issue in the shop

02-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Park Cameras, Burgess Hill, UK.

Unfortunately there is no way to replicate this issue in the shop
You could put the camera in a zip-lock bag, place it in a cooler with ice and take it to the shop nice and chilled.