Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #1

Fingerprints in viewfinder

Finally I bought the Pentax K-5, after shooting a number of indoor pix I decided to depict outdoor. ... Surprised to see that there is something like fingerprints when looking through the viewfinder!!! I informed the agent and they decided to maintenance and change the viewfinder after all they returned back after replace the viewfinder with number of fingerprints increased!!! They said : all pentax cameras have the same problem!!! Is this a true? Please reply guys
thanx

02-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those aren't fingerprints, that's the way the focusing screen is made. The circular pattern becomes visible when you have slow lenses mounted on your camera (typically > F5.6) or you stop the lens down to a low aperture setting. Try using the DOF preview feature and you'll see it

So to fix the problem, try a faster lens

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
thnx brother Adam
i"ll try it ....hopefully....who knows
02-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This needs to get added to the sticky - similar to 'why does my camera make a clunking noise?'

07-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
CMG

I had the same issue

I just found your thread...right after I started a similar one here (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/192400-fingerprints-grit-new-k5-kit-lens.html). As you can see, I returned my kit and a new one is on the way. I'm no optical engineer, but it seems odd to me that slower lenses would only be plagued by this problem...again, I have no idea about the physics involved...but I'd really like someone to explain in more details why this is the case and how it serves the proper functioning of the K-5 (Anyone??). I didn't have the problem with my FA-31 lens which is significantly faster than the kit lens...so that supports the slow lens theory.
07-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you stop down your FA-31 and use the preview switch (rotate the on-off past on) you will see them.
With modern lenses your view through the eyepiece is done wide open.
I think because fast lens will pass more light directly through the center, whereas a slower lens is more balanced light from the sides and center causing the ridges to produce shadows so they are more visible.
(I dont know that this is the case I'm sure there is a scientific explanation someone will add.)
The rings are there to allow the focus screen to act as a projection medium for the image coming off the mirror.
Pentax uses this fresnel ring design, maybe other manuf use more of a frosted design?