Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 03:39 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
I should have written color 'profile' not color 'curve'. The color profile 'Natural' is applied during raw conversion to jpeg, altering the raw colors according to a profile algorithm. Use the Pentax raw conversion software which has the color profile settings, choose 'Natural' and you'll see the same color-shift as the camera gives.
yes I'm sure you are right but my original question still stands why given that every setting is set to be as neutral/natural as possible why the camera conversion [and possibly the Pentax software] shift the hair colour when other software faithfully convert the raw info correctly.

02-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
yes I'm sure you are right but my original question still stands why given that every setting is set to be as neutral/natural as possible why the camera conversion [and possibly the Pentax software] shift the hair colour when other software faithfully convert the raw info correctly.
Because Pentax software both in and out of camera use the 'Natural' color profile and the other software do not use it. Imho -- an issue only Pentax.can resolve, with new camera software, once they know about the problem.
02-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Because Pentax software both in and out of camera use the 'Natural' color profile and the other software do not use it. Imho -- an issue only Pentax.can resolve, with new camera software, once they know about the problem.
yes I think you are correct and as I said in the original post not a real problem for me as I shoot raw normally anyway, I started the thread in case there was something obvious I had overlooked with the in camera jpeg settings.
02-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After reading this thread, I decided to experiment a little myself - made me realize something that I hadn't before.....

I used Acdsee Pro 5 to view my images.

I set my K-5 to RAW+, and set the custom jpeg image to "natural" and took a shot.

I then set the custom jpeg image to "vibrant" and took the same shot.

When viewing the images, I can certainly see the difference in the jpeg's as would be expected. But....when viewing the corresponding raw images, they perfectly mirrored their corresponding jpeg images. The raw image was identical to its "natural" image while the other raw image was identical to its "vibrant" image.

I now wonder if the image displayed by Acdsee for the raw file is actually an embedded jpeg that the camera produced through its software.

02-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
is actually an embedded jpeg that the camera produced through its software.
Yes it is. For the preview the cam is embedding a JPG that will show when loading the RAW file in a viewer or is used as a thumbnail in explorer. This is also the reason why often sky and other very smooth finely graduated colour parts of an image display "jaggy" or "pixelated". Lots of people, when they see this, think their camera is faulty. The same image when loaded as RAW in a converter will not show this.

Greetings