Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #1

Camera doesn't react

Hello,

Today happened something weird, I have a K5 with the latest firmware (v1.12)... while I was shooting, suddenly the camera got stuck, nothing would work at all, even the one and off switch wouldn't do a thing, I literally needed to take off the grip to remove the battery from the camera and put it back in.

Anybody else experiences/ed the same?

Cheers,

Florian

02-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It happens from time to time, but the latest firmware should minimize the number of time it happens.

It's only happened for me once so far (since getting the camera in November, 2010), after shooting in continuous AF for several minutes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Happened to me once a while ago, I took the battery out, put it back in again and restarted and it was fine. Never run into that issue since. It's very bizarre. I wouldn't worry about it though.
02-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes happened twice in the first month, battery removal was the only solution. But not since Dec 2010.

Hey, in many respects its just a computer... just once last month my completely unaltered PC decided it wanted to be switched on and off twice before it could find all its peripherals. No such requirement since. So don't worry its not as if any supplier is going to force an update on you... wait a minute...

02-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ok. I was just suspecting it had to do with the firmware update to the latest one... but I guess these are the stability issues they were talking about that this should fix.

Yeah indeed it's like a PC, and I know I cannot expect reliability of 100%, but still I would prefer that the on and off is a physical one.

I like the camera more every time I use it!
02-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The computer analogy is a good one - computers with a lens mount.
02-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a "normal" computer glitch

Yep. Happened to my month-old K5 a few days ago. Luckily, I had read about this problem, so I knew to pull the battery out. This forces the hardware to start from a true power-on from scratch when the battery goes back in. Hardware of computer-level complexity (and digital cameras are just computers with a light-sensitive peripheral) can sometimes get into an unrecoverable state that only a total power-off can resolve. In my years of being around hardware, it's happened to many different machines and devices.

The rule is: when the machine or device doesn't respond to the reset button, or on/off button, disconnect the power (remove the battery in this case). 99% of the time, it will then happily start up and exhibit no problem of any kind. It just got totally confused.
02-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah...

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Yep. Happened to my month-old K5 a few days ago. Luckily, I had read about this problem, so I knew to pull the battery out. This forces the hardware to start from a true power-on from scratch when the battery goes back in. Hardware of computer-level complexity (and digital cameras are just computers with a light-sensitive peripheral) can sometimes get into an unrecoverable state that only a total power-off can resolve. In my years of being around hardware, it's happened to many different machines and devices.

The rule is: when the machine or device doesn't respond to the reset button, or on/off button, disconnect the power (remove the battery in this case). 99% of the time, it will then happily start up and exhibit no problem of any kind. It just got totally confused.
I used to have problems with my iPhone generating bogus emails in my inbox with no titles or contents. Took it to an Apple store. Didn't even need to wait in line for the greeter told me that it is preferable to turn the phone off everyday for at least a couple of minutes. Seems that without a hard periodic shut off, the software would start a propagation loop that would generate the emails. Simple fix and it worked. Haven't gotten a bogus email since.

02-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I used to have problems with my iPhone generating bogus emails in my inbox with no titles or contents. Took it to an Apple store. Didn't even need to wait in line for the greeter told me that it is preferable to turn the phone off everyday for at least a couple of minutes. Seems that without a hard periodic shut off, the software would start a propagation loop that would generate the emails. Simple fix and it worked. Haven't gotten a bogus email since.
IMHO this is something Apple should fix, that's just a workaround for a soft bug... but complexity has it, the more complex the systems gets the more you run into this sort of things :-(

The human side of the machines, sometimes they're not in the mood
02-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For me a lockup happens all the time when I'm using PK Tether and do some things in the wrong order.
For Ex, press shutter command on PKT while in LV.

So, no worries. Glitches happen, we have to find our own ways to work around it.
02-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fmerges Quote
Ok. I was just suspecting it had to do with the firmware update to the latest one... but I guess these are the stability issues they were talking about that this should fix.

Yeah indeed it's like a PC, and I know I cannot expect reliability of 100%, but still I would prefer that the on and off is a physical one.

I like the camera more every time I use it!
You won't want the on/off to be a physical switch after the first time you switch the camera off whilst its still writing to the card.
02-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Never happened to me (yet). But as others have indicated, it does indeed seem to happen.

and I know I cannot expect reliability of 100%
Why not? Embedded software (read: your firmware) can be made 100% reliable.

...but still I would prefer that the on and off is a physical one.
Agreed; bit silly that it isn't.
02-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #13

I had this happen once within the first 1000 pictures, then not again, until 2 more times around 3k-3500 pictures, both within an hour of each other. The one was apparently the battery finally running out, the other with a fresh charged battery, click the shutter and nothing happened, jumbled top LCD.

Battery removed and put back in, all's been well since, fingers crossed.