Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Is my SR working?

OK, a newbie question. I promise I searched and searched and could not find a satisfactory answer that fits my situation.

I just bought a new K-5, and having difficulties getting sharp images. I am sure 99% of the blame is behind the camera rather than inside, but makes me wonder.

When I shoot using the viewfinder, I get no indication of SR kicking in. No sound or vibration to hear or feel.
I *am* half pressing and waiting for the "talk to the hand" icon showing up, but still no sound or vibration, even for longer exposures ~1" and jiggling the camera.

When I turn LiveView though, the thing comes alive. Buzzing, and whirring, and clunking - just like everybody says it is.
Other than LV though, the camera is quiet.

Having played with all the settings one way or another, could I have inadvertently turned off something that triggers SR? The SR setting is definitely *on* though.

/argun

02-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest that you reset your camera settings.

You seemed to have done most common checks. There are some modes when the SR is automatically off. If you see SR on, but od not get the hand icone when 1./2 pressing, it might be a setup issue and its then best to reset the camera settings.

The SR is a great asset for hand-held shooting IMHO.

Hope that the comment may help.
02-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
Inactive Account

This happened to me, and the cause was that I was in remote control mode. Go to menu->[camera] 4 make sure shake reduction is on (green). If the menu is greyed out you are probably in one of the modes that automatically turns the shake reduction off (Such as in remote mode).
02-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atekant Quote
When I shoot using the viewfinder, I get no indication of SR kicking in. No sound or vibration to hear or feel.
I *am* half pressing and waiting for the "talk to the hand" icon showing up, but still no sound or vibration, even for longer exposures ~1" and jiggling the camera.
That is normal.
When using the viewfinder the actual "buzzing" doesn't start until the mirror is on its way up, that is a few milliseconds before the shutter opens. Thus you will not hear anything until you fully depress the shutter button, and then it's all over when the shutter closes, so unless you are doing looong exposures you shouldn't here anything but mirror slap and shutter sound. (Live view is a different story).

02-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK so I tried all the recommendations (except Reset, which I am saving as plan B, as I just got the controls and everything I like it)

SR in Menu 4 is Green.
When I half press, I see the hand come on.
I did a 15" exposure and shook the camera, I hear the clunks (but then I hear them all the time), but not the buzzing that comes on in Live View.

So with LV, both when viewing and shooting a 15" exposure, shaking causes clunks and buzzes.
Without LV, half press + Hand icon - then start the exposure, shaking causes the same sound and feel as in when the camera is doing nothing.

Hmm, and grr!
02-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Without LV, half press + Hand icon - then start the exposure, shaking causes the same sound and feel as in when the camera is doing nothing.
I haven't checked if the K5 does this (but probably, as I know the K10 does this) If you shake the camera too much during a long exposure the camera detects this and gives up. The sensor drops and is as lose as ever.

So don't shake the camera, mount it on a tripod (or hold it steadily) and just nudge it slightly during the 15 seconds exposure, then you might here the buzzing.
02-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
So don't shake the camera, mount it on a tripod (or hold it steadily) and just nudge it slightly during the 15 seconds exposure, then you might here the buzzing.
No, nothing then either.

Now there is a buzzing - when I get very close, it sounds like a mechanical egg timer (without the ticks). But that buzzing is on whether the SR is on or off. So maybe that is indeed the shutter timer.

When shooting in LV, small nudges do make the SR go off - I can both feel and hear it.

Nothing else (other than the egg timer noise) when shooting via the viewfinder.
02-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Now there is a buzzing - when I get very close, it sounds like a mechanical egg timer (without the ticks). But that buzzing is on whether the SR is on or off. So maybe that is indeed the shutter timer.
That is it. The same servo motors that is used when the SR is active is used when SR is inactive. Although when inactive the sensor is held still in the center, but it still buzzes, (usually very faint though). When SR is active you should be able to hear that the sound varies when you slightly move the camera during the exposure. How sensitive to movement the camera is depends on focal length.

02-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Here is "fun" test. Mount the camera on folded tripod, turn the head locked it so that the folded legs is seen in the middle of view.

Turn on live view and swing the entire camera/tripod around. If SR is off the legs are locked in the middle of the view as expected, if SR is ON the legs now slightly slides around in the center of the view trying to reduce the shake when you move the camera.
02-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
That is it. The same servo motors that is used when the SR is active is used when SR is inactive. Although when inactive the sensor is held still in the center, but it still buzzes, (usually very faint though). When SR is active you should be able to hear that the sound varies when you slightly move the camera during the exposure. How sensitive to movement the camera is depends on focal length.
Well, of the 3 cases, the results are thus while shooting:
- SR off: faint buzz, which doesn't vary with shake
- SR on - viewfinder: faint buzz, which doesn't vary with shake
- SR on - LiveView: louder buzz, which does vary with shake.

This kinda tells me the SR is not coming on when using the viewfinder.
02-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I agree, but since the SR works in liveview I would say you are doing something wrong if it doesn't work using the viewfinder.
02-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, it is working now.

I finally gave up and did a reset - whines and buzzes as it should when it didn't before.
No idea what I changed (SR was turned on, really!) but I will slowly change the settings until I break it again.
02-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, it is working now.

I finally gave up and did a reset - whines and buzzes as it should when it didn't before.
No idea what I changed (SR was turned on, really!) but I will slowly change the settings until I break it again.
It's happened before and other had similar experience. You are not alone.

The Reset is often the best option when you ca find the issue.

Do not forget to enter your settings preferences after the Reset