Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your lens is not WR then your K5

Is not WR either as there is no WR seal on the lens mount. True?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.278092,-80.249539

02-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, though the K-5 would still be less susceptible to damage than a non-sealed camera, though. Pro tip: use an umbrella or camera sleeve

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Or a shower cap from the hotel.
02-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Even with non-weather sealed camera's, pictures can be made in stormy weather, look here: PHOTOEIL.
This picture was shot in the Morbihan during a very stormy fall. I saw a serious and heavy shower coming up and wanted that dramatic sky which concerted very well with the subject.
So, I put the camera, a Linhof Technorama 617II loaded with AGFAPAN 400, on a tripod with a stone tied under it for the weight. Framed and leveled, focussed and measured the light as guidance so to set for an estimated exposure AFTER the storm just went by and put a strong plastic bag over the setup, I barely had the time to get in my car for shelter.
When the storm had passed over me and the camera, I snatched the bag and made the picture when the 'bad' weather was still over the subject. Look at the clouds and the dramatic light, no effect filter was used, just the dedicated center filter.

The only troubles I had was getting the car out of the mud, but that good old Volvo finally got away...

Last edited by philippe; 02-17-2012 at 03:54 AM.
02-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, though the K-5 would still be less susceptible to damage than a non-sealed camera, though. Pro tip: use an umbrella or camera sleeve
Well, of course, one other pro tip: use a WR lens. I know, kind of obvious.
02-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've always wondered, would a tight rubber band around the lens mount keep the camera sealed? of course the lens wouldn't be sealed, but would at least the camera be safe(r)?
02-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A few years ago I found myself taking a rain forest tour in Costa Rica. Sure enough it was raining (DUH - it's not called a rain forest for no reason). I wanted to take my 18-250mm with my K200D. I found a proper size plastic bag from the wife's shopping excursions and I took a hand towel from my cabin. I draped the bag over the lens, covering it completely. I then draped the hand towel over the bag, after the towel got wet, it stayed on the lens just fine because of the weight of the water and the bag kept the water from getting to the lens. I could reach under the bag/towel to zoom and the camera worked the auto focus. No problems during the tour or afterwards. This worked in a rain forest because mostly the rain drops come down, not sideways like in a driving rain.
02-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
A few years ago I found myself taking a rain forest tour in Costa Rica. Sure enough it was raining (DUH - it's not called a rain forest for no reason). I wanted to take my 18-250mm with my K200D. I found a proper size plastic bag from the wife's shopping excursions and I took a hand towel from my cabin. I draped the bag over the lens, covering it completely. I then draped the hand towel over the bag, after the towel got wet, it stayed on the lens just fine because of the weight of the water and the bag kept the water from getting to the lens. I could reach under the bag/towel to zoom and the camera worked the auto focus. No problems during the tour or afterwards. This worked in a rain forest because mostly the rain drops come down, not sideways like in a driving rain.
sounds like a Nikon/Canon owner.