Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Is $850 for a new K-5 a good deal?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does this seem like a good deal? eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It's new and is a bit of a steal at that price. I think they meant to list it at $1600 though that would never sell for a body only. But if I could get a new K-5 for $850-$900, seems like a good deal to me. Just wanted a second opinion as I'm still wrapping my head around the cost of this hobby. And will continue to do so for the next 80 years probably... lol

02-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It's an auction with a current bid of $844 -- could go for much higher. Not sure what the bit about $1600 means in the title...
02-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most k-5s are being sold for $999 right now at retail stores, if I am correct. Occasional (and probably a mistake) sales have shown the k-5 at $850 or so. So if you can get a new one for $850, that's pretty good.

But warranty and all that is important too.
02-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It's an auction with a current bid of $844 -- could go for much higher.
Yeah, I've bid on a bunch of cameras lately, and always lose in the last couple hours. But in a way, I think I lucked out on that. I had been bidding on Olympus PEN's instead of a Pentax. I suppose I could always go for it and if I lose, I can pick up a K-01 for about the same... Though a K-5 would be pretty cool. Or maybe I'll just head over to B&H and buy one there as a kit for a couple hundred more and help support the site.

02-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I think they meant to list it at $1600 though that would never sell for a body only.
It probably means they listed it with a BIN price of $1600, which disappeared once bids were made.

I think you would be better off to go with an authorized dealer. The warranty has got to be worth a bit, and you can get one under $1000 retail now.
02-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
It probably means they listed it with a BIN price of $1600, which disappeared once bids were made.
I forgot BIN disappeared once bids are made. That's probably what it was.

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I think you would be better off to go with an authorized dealer. The warranty has got to be worth a bit, and you can get one under $1000 retail now.
Hadn't thought of that... Thought it would have a warranty card (or more realistically, a spot on the website to do it digitally) that you fill out with name, address, serial, etc.
02-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found one for $860 refurbished on amazon and thought it was an amazing deal so I would definitely jump at this chance even if it was a bid for it.

02-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote

Hadn't thought of that... Thought it would have a warranty card (or more realistically, a spot on the website to do it digitally) that you fill out with name, address, serial, etc.
It probably would but for the manufacturer to honor their warranty you would still have to purchase the item from an authorized dealer.
02-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

looks to me like one of the pacific mall guys (huge chinese mall with tons of little retailers scamming away in many cases - ok for a cheap accessory but not a big ticket IMO). refurbs open units etc. probably not authorised.
given you can easily buy one in toronto for 999 at a good store i'd take a pass if you are local
as for the op even if this was an authorised dealer in canada, warranty woul be under the international warrabty only
there are sub 1000 options with US warranties as well

read below
QuoteQuote:
SabbaShop liquidates new , used, overstock, open-box, returns, shelf-pulls or store display items. Some items may be new in box, however SabbaShop is in no way affiliated with the manufacturer. The item does not carry any manufacturer warranty, even if sold as new
so they are a liquidator

for me to buy any camera it would have to be half street retail at an authorised dealer.

Last edited by eddie1960; 02-16-2012 at 04:38 PM.
02-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I saw that one and thought "Pass" because its open box, non-AD, and isn't that much off what you can get one for with full warranty and peace of mind.
02-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I put a max bid of $850 on it before you guys started saying that a non-authorized dealer was a bad idea. I got rather nervous then but luckily in the last minute, it got two more bids and jumped to $860.

So, you're saying that it also needs to be specifically a US authorized dealer and not just any authorized dealer? Shop on eBay based out of Toronto seems to have nice deals, but guess that's a no-go and I need to pay a hundred or two extra.

What about accessories? Do I need to get the battery grip (if I get it, it does sound handy to have) and the GPS unit from an authorized dealer as well or is that safe from elsewhere?

--
Sent from somewhere with a signal.
02-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

From your location, you should buy from an authorized U.S. dealer to get full warranty coverage. If you were Canadian, or residing up here long enough to make it worthwhile, then an authorized Canadian dealer would be your best bet.

I don't agree with these policies, but that's how it is.

I'd be less worried about accessories, but you'll want to look into it further for fairly expensive ones like the GPS unit. I suspect that it will be the same as for cameras.
02-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up. Though now that I'm thinking about it, I would be voiding the warranty when I get it converted to full spectrum... Perhaps I'll wait a while before doing that. Or find an old cheap Pentax for that and keep the K-5 for normal pictures in the meantime. Need to find out what's the cheapest Pentax with AF in live view. Just can't see going with a PEN now like I originally was thinking. (:

--
Sent from somewhere with a signal.
02-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For AF with live view, you could get a 2nd hand K7 or K20D and convert it to IR.
02-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

A used K-x would also be a good candidate for conversion. They're cheap and plentiful, but still a very nice camera.