Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #46
Veteran Member
alexeyga's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 838
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I only have one thing to say - have you tried decaf, seriously.
I'm on green tea actually, they say it's better for the skin.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Or you could just take the extra precautions to dry out the lenses, store in sealed bags with dessicants, and keep them in a warm and dry area (using a heat lamp like some people do, or store them where the sun shines like I do).
Any why not just take care of you gear while shooting and avoid any unnecessary humidity to begin with? ))) Yes I know, stuff happens, got caught in a rain, or got eaten but a wave... WR is there to help, but it doesn't mean that now, all of a sudden, it's OK to trow your camera in every pile of dirt and rinse it in every thunderstorm that passes by only to be able to worship the coolness of WR.

02-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #47
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
I'm on green tea actually, they say it's better for the skin.



Any why not just take care of you gear while shooting and avoid any unnecessary humidity to begin with? ))) Yes I know, stuff happens, got caught in a rain, or got eaten but a wave... WR is there to help, but it doesn't mean that now, all of a sudden, it's OK to trow your camera in every pile of dirt and rinse it in every thunderstorm that passes by only to be able to worship the coolness of WR.
At least you're aware of it, that's the first step

I do agree that WR is a safety backup and doesn't mean that you can ignore your equipment or should shower with it.
02-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #48
Veteran Member
Verglace's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 468
I purchased my gear with WR in mind thats why I have a k-5 and DA*, but I never actually used the WR! But I agree its a great back up protection. It feels great to know I wont have to worry about it should anything happen. Plenty of camera bags are not marked as waterproof including my Vangard up-rise 33 and my lowerpro bags, should it start raining I won't have to worry so much because I know that even if water somehow makes it inside the bag, theres another layer of protection in there from the camera
02-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #49
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Albums
Posts: 195
I was happy to take my K-5 out in thunderstorm last summer during a heavy thunderstorm to see what kind of pictures I could get, and secondarily to see how the camera held up under such conditions.

I looked over the camera quite carefully after coming back indoors. I have not seen anyone mention this before, but when I opened up the various ports on the sides of the camera I could see that some water was beginning to seep in. Not very far, but a bit. Capillary action I would guess? So, besides wiping down the outside of the camera, I opened op and dried out all the ports and doors. I also opened the pop-up flash and wiped the water out of there as well.

So, I would add to all the cautions others have offered to open and dry out the ports as needed after the camera's been splashed/rained on.

Here is the best photo I got from that outing (not at all sharp, but kinda dramatic):



02-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,572
50-200wr

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
... thus, I think that I will soon supplement with a DA 50-200 WR.

Has anyone used this lens extensively and what do you think about it ? ... I'd like the extra range beyond 135mm and I tend to shoot a lot in the 100 to 200 range. I have read the PF in-depth review plus the users' reviews as well, thus I have a good idea of the "limitations " of this lens.
I liked my copy. It did not have the inherent sharpness of the 55-300 but I really liked its colors and bokeh. And of course, its WR-ness

cormorant in the slough - handheld with K-7 on a gloomy day & it shows


moss - I deliberately darkened this image in pp
02-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #51
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,290
QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Here is the best photo I got from that outing (not at all sharp, but kinda dramatic):
Nice timing, and I recognize that glowing green square! (TD) Shot from Oakville?

Like other K-5 (and all the other WR body/lens combos) users, I've been caught in the rain or spray and didn't run for cover with my camera under my coat, which I've seen so many other photogs do. However, I also have a W90 which I routinely submerse in a saltwater pool, so, like NotSteve said, I'm aware of the limits of seals and am careful to open and air things out. Neither cam has failed, and none of lenses look icky... (knock, knock)

However, the #1 thing I've seen photogs do to risk getting moisture (and later fungus growth) in their lenses is to "wipe off" condensation on their lens with a non-absorbant lens cloth, typically when they step from a cold place to a warmer one. The Toronto Zoo in winter is like a horror show in that regard! I want to shout "you're only pushing the water into the lens!"

Last edited by panoguy; 02-28-2012 at 06:52 PM.
02-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,391
QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
I was happy to take my K-5 out in thunderstorm last summer during a heavy thunderstorm to see what kind of pictures I could get, and secondarily to see how the camera held up under such conditions.

I looked over the camera quite carefully after coming back indoors. I have not seen anyone mention this before, but when I opened up the various ports on the sides of the camera I could see that some water was beginning to seep in. Not very far, but a bit. Capillary action I would guess? So, besides wiping down the outside of the camera, I opened op and dried out all the ports and doors. I also opened the pop-up flash and wiped the water out of there as well.

So, I would add to all the cautions others have offered to open and dry out the ports as needed after the camera's been splashed/rained on.

Here is the best photo I got from that outing (not at all sharp, but kinda dramatic):
Dramatic and awesome shot, how is your HEARING after that close encounter. And fully agree, when done, open everything and dry it out.
02-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #53
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 90
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm on vacation in Florida and went to NASA for an Atlas V launch last night. The launch ended up being scrubbed due to weather

I had my K5 + 18-135WR so I just kept shooting. The Nikons and Canons all ran for cover except one journalist with a Canon FF who advised me to get my camera under cover

I was polite and explained that my K5 is WR. He seemed impressed and asked if it was a FF. He seemed even more impressed when I said No.

The best part is that I just got to keep shooting
If I were you...I will answer: " My K5 is APSC sensor, but I am shooting in FF now." cheers!

02-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #54
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Albums
Posts: 195
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Nice timing, and I recognize that glowing green square! (TD) Shot from Oakville?
Thanks Panoguy and Ex Finn. Actually shot from south Etobicoke -- there's quite a few little parks dotting the lakeshore around here, one of which I shot this from. A bit off topic, but there was another guy there with the same idea. He must have had a Canon or Nikon, just based on percentages. Didn't see and he had an umbrella to protect his camera. Anyhow, he kindly explained his technique, which was to take one 5 sec exposure after another, and sooner or later you'd get a decent shot. I was pretty clueless at first, shooting at indistinct patches of light directly out onto the lake for 30 sec at a time while immediately to my left the CN Tower was getting struck at regular intervals...
02-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #55
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 92
I bought the DA 50-200 WR along with my K5 & 18-55 WR kit to give me a good range of options. It seems to be built pretty good, very similar to the 18-55 WR in size and shape. For a price of $210.00 I think it has a lot of bang for the buck. My only gripe about it is that the filter thread is is only 49mm. I wanted to get one of the new waterproof HD glass filters to protect the lens but they only make them down to 52mm right now as with most of the other higher quality filters.
Hopefully that will change in the future.
02-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #56
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperK5 Quote
I bought the DA 50-200 WR along with my K5 & 18-55 WR kit to give me a good range of options. It seems to be built pretty good, very similar to the 18-55 WR in size and shape. For a price of $210.00 I think it has a lot of bang for the buck. My only gripe about it is that the filter thread is is only 49mm. I wanted to get one of the new waterproof HD glass filters to protect the lens but they only make them down to 52mm right now as with most of the other higher quality filters.
Hopefully that will change in the future.
$5 for a 52-49mm adapter and your problem is solved.
02-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #57
Veteran Member
mark lj's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 983
Even if I swap to the Nikon D800 or something of that ilk I would likely keep the K-5, 16-50 and 50-135 just for their ability to go on walks like these two. Dried out properly on my return home with no ill effects although I did try and keep them as dry as I could during the walks. Not easy in itsdelf as it was quite wild on both occasions.





02-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #58
Veteran Member
mark lj's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 983
If you think I'd be taking a D800 out in these conditions then I'm sorry but you are out of your tree. A D800 would be a big investment for me, the K-5 a lot less so.
02-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #59
Veteran Member
alexeyga's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 838
QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
If you think I'd be taking a D800 out in these conditions then I'm sorry but you are out of your tree. A D800 would be a big investment for me, the K-5 a lot less so.
Price paid and overall bulk is a good point, but it's not the point that I've been making!
02-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #60
Veteran Member
mark lj's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 983
Agreed - but I'm a hill walker more than a photographer and Pentax made the best argument for me. I tend to walk 8-15 miles and maybe 3 or 4,000 feet of ascent in a normal walk. With my current kit I can cope with most of my kit, but I think the D800 and a variety of lenses would see me constructing some sort of harness for the dog.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, ff, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, launch, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People Joy! Rupert Photo Critique 2 08-26-2010 09:01 AM
What a joy Gene Temple Pentax Film SLR Discussion 3 05-22-2010 05:00 PM
DA 55-300mm (Happy Happy - Joy Joy) devs66 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 78 04-27-2010 11:43 PM
Sports Just joy ! Pedro Ernesto Guerra Azevedo Post Your Photos! 2 04-27-2010 01:11 PM
People Oh joy oh joy devisor Post Your Photos! 12 04-27-2010 08:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top