Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Funny thing is, landscape and wildlife photographers have been using their CaNikon gear in conditions and temperatures our lovely K5 wouldn't even dear to dream about, for ages, way before even the term WR got invented.

I'm not trying to bash Pentax or glorify CaNikon. I just find it silly and rather shameful how Pentax community is worshiping the WR. There's that myth going around that you can't take pics in bad weather and dusty environment if you haven't got some Pentax WR gear and that's why Pentax gears is so cool!!! Total self-inflicted fetish-lie!!!

D800(D300/D300s/D700/)+24-70+70-200 most likely are better sealed than K5+16-50+50-135 and in real life, bad conditions for bad conditions will outlast a Pentax setup.

But Pentaxians are the only ones running around with the WR-we're so cool and unique-hysteria.

Hysterical that is and and rather pathetic. Sorry for the luck of better words.
Compare apples to apples if you are going to do this, how well sealed if a D7000 compared to a K5, how well built is it's body (ie mag alloy percentage)

Sure the high end Canikon are well sealed (they were in film days too) they also cost way more so they bloody well should be. Pentaxians I think have a right to be proud of the sealing and build of the WR product because nothing in it's category competed with it
until the 7D at canon you had to go to the 5 D for this level of sealing and 7D still costs more than a K5 (and wouldn't be sealed this way if it wasn't for Pentax probably it wouldn't be)
Lenses it is only the L glass at canon (so no wr kit lenses or 18-135 at reasonable prices) same with nikon only the high end lenses are sealed

It's definitely an area where Pentax has differentiated themselves in the past and where canikon had responded (theD7000 design was pretty much a direct response to the K7 design without mining the features of the high end too much)

It's also an area I think they can take much further than they have by adding a second WR apsc and more lenses. It likely has a pretty low cost of adding it (see 18-55 cost) but great marketing value

02-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Funny thing is, landscape and wildlife photographers have been using their CaNikon gear in conditions and temperatures our lovely K5 wouldn't even dear to dream about, for ages, way before even the term WR got invented.

I'm not trying to bash Pentax or glorify CaNikon. I just find it silly and rather shameful how Pentax community is worshiping the WR. There's that myth going around that you can't take pics in bad weather and dusty environment if you haven't got some Pentax WR gear and that's why Pentax gears is so cool!!! Total self-inflicted fetish-lie!!!

D800(D300/D300s/D700/)+24-70+70-200 most likely are better sealed than K5+16-50+50-135 and in real life, bad conditions for bad conditions will outlast a Pentax setup.

But Pentaxians are the only ones running around with the WR-we're so cool and unique-hysteria.

I'm sorry but...

...the OP says the other CaNikons ran for cover except the full frame guy.

You know, the guy with the full frame WR camera. Implying the people who ran were the CaNikons not using a full frame camera. Implying a lower end camera (on equivalent pricing to the k-5) that do not have WR. So... the full frame shooter was impressed that an APS-C camera that is priced quite low can sustain WR conditions that his full frame professional camera can.

Oh, and btw, the reason why some of us Pentax users "worship" the WR on a k-5 is because our k-x and k-r does not have WR.
02-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Nikon has a ton of WR lenses BTW, Pentax is really lagging (Nikon puts gaskets on most lenses now)

Film/Digital
14-24 f2.8
16-35 f4 VR
24 f1.4 AF-S
24-70 f2.8
24-120 f4VR
28-300 f3.5-5.6 VR
35 f1.4 AF-S
50 f1.4 AF-S
50 f1.8 AF-S
55-300 f4-5.6 VR
70-200 f2.8 (I and II)
85 f1.4 AF-S
200 f2 VR
200-400 f4 VR (I and II)
300 f4VR
400 f2.8 VR
500f4 VR
600f4 VR

DX Digital Only
10-24 f3.5-4.5
12-24 f4
17-55 f2.8
18-200 VR (I and II)
18-70 f3.5-4.5
35 f1.8
60 f2.8 AF-S Micro
02-29-2012, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Veteran Member

Don't apologize. While I personally don't deliberately take my gear out with the specific idea of dousing it or giving it a mud-bath, I also don't shy away from getting the shots I want. This does include bad weather on occaision and the k-7, 16-50 and 50-135 sealings have proven themselves to me time and time again.

You can down-play just how useful the Pentax sealing may be, but I've got 2.5 years of abusing my current gear to counter any doubts you want to raise. Add to that, the fact the k-7, 16-50 and 50-135 cost only a bit more than the price of admission on a d800, I'd say even on borrowed time, my gear has given me my money's worth....even if the seals gave way tomorrow and bricked my camera.

You can claim 'pathetic'. My camera speaks contrary to that. Furthermore, and more importantly, I'm photographing what I want, when I want and not stressing about anything else in the process. YMMV, but until my camera or lenses call it quits, I'll continue to abuse them like the tools I need them to be. They've stood up to a lot more than I ever expected when I first purchased them.

02-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #65
Veteran Member

+1^^^

My only wish is for some more primes, i'm envious of that Nikon list. I honestly think the move should be towards all but the most simple lenses having basic sealing levels and all but the entry body being WR it is an area to be different for now and though it may not matter to most people for those that use it it's a fantastic feature, for those that market the great it's a great sell tool
02-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Agreed, Eddie. I'm hoping that's where Pentax is aiming for as well. Personally, I love working mostly with the 43mm and 15mm limiteds, and re-issuing them in WR varieties would result in the fastest purchases I could ever make
02-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #67
Veteran Member

exactly. a big chunk of the lens lineup is very long in the tooth and due for an update FA LTD particularly) a Program updating them to WR and DC/Silent motors will make them more market competitive. IT also will be a requirement of any successful FF program i imagine. If you look at the Nikon list a big chunk is FX and all FF bodies are WR

02-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Frankly so have those with Nikon and Canon gear. Those with Pentax gear have been using their cameras in tough situations for a lot longer than the term "WR" has been around. The best part is that I didn't have to plunk down Nikon level money for WR - err, excuse me - Professional Grade Nikon money. It might come as a surprise but the dominance by Canon and Nikon is new. Back in the day there were more than 2 choices and one of the most common for war correspondents was Pentax, talk about tough environmental conditions.

Last edited by Docrwm; 02-29-2012 at 12:01 PM.
02-29-2012, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #69

I have owned Nikon pro houses for 10 years... and i have never had any problem with water in them. the D200 and D300 have survived snowstorms in -45 celsius... actually the mirror froze raised on the D200 in northern Norway. However after 10 mins with the fireplace it was back and going strong for 5 years with no problems. i have also used the D7000 on a sailboat, however the lens died (sigma non wr) but the camera is fine. the D3XX series from nikon are like tanks! After 10 years of nikoning... i now trust my K-5 the same way... i have shoot in -25 celcius snowstorm... no problem. Half price (at least) and half weight! And better IQ. Howerver I'm aware of the risks of water and electronics... i expect it do die someday on one of my cold/wet trips.

To compare... my Nikon D80 died after 1 hour in the same condition as the D300... and never worked again Same also with my friends Canon 7D who only survived for 2 hours.

I look forward to see how many years my K-5 will survive
02-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #70
Forum Member

Okay! Let's all hear what the happy WR users have to say!

Of course we won't hear from them, they're too busy taking photos in the rain. LOL
03-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #71

Photos: Gallery
Sure you are

Your whole reply is a bash. Who cares what Canikons are doing?? This is the PENTAX site. I think you just one of those sour grapes kind of person.
But have a nice day anyways.

From a happy Pentax user.

03-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle_dad Quote
Your whole reply is a bash. Who cares what Canikons are doing?? This is the PENTAX site. I think you just one of those sour grapes kind of person.
But have a nice day anyways.

From a happy Pentax user.
Now this is how a true american is thinking! Yeee-haaa! Long live Pentax bubble!

If the camera i'm buying has it, great, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I mean, what great pictures are you going to take in heavy snow or rain? Pentax does not guarantee your camera is safe for xx minutes in rain, nobody does that. What i find unique about Pentax is this forum, smaller DSLR bodies, backward lens compatibility, the small primes, and most features in entry-level bodies from all producers.

Fact is though Pentax has a lot of experience with WR, but still i would not risk to brick the camera by willingly exposing it to heavy rain or snow.
03-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Now this is how a true american is thinking! Yeee-haaa! Long live Pentax bubble!

If the camera i'm buying has it, great, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I mean, what great pictures are you going to take in heavy snow or rain? Pentax does not guarantee your camera is safe for xx minutes in rain, nobody does that. What i find unique about Pentax is this forum, smaller DSLR bodies, backward lens compatibility, the small primes, and most features in entry-level bodies from all producers.

Fact is though Pentax has a lot of experience with WR, but still i would not risk to brick the camera by willingly exposing it to heavy rain or snow.
I could engage in an ad hominem about Romania and make ethnic jokes, but that would make me an ass.
03-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I could engage in an ad hominem about Romania and make ethnic jokes, but that would make me an ass.
Be my guest, as long as there's a Pentax in there somewhere.
03-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #75
Veteran Member

The day Pentax decides on WR screw drive primes the canikon will have to work harder to keep their customers. K5 has grown many pentaxians, the next lap would be WR primes. It makes sense. And WR is not a hype. I wash my K5 and 18-135 under the tap after a saltwater trip.