Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #1

K5 extension tube

Can i use an extension tube on my PENTAX K5 with Sigma 170 x500 lens

02-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Presuming you are refering to an extension tube, and not a converter. Yes, but what you will get is a slightly closer focusing distance and will also loose a bit of light, so slower apparent aperture. Depending on the type, you will most likely loose autofocus and auto-aperture.

Extension tubes are aimed more at marco work where pushing the lens further from the sensor allows for focusing on very close objects while loosing focus ability at infinity.

BTW: great to see more South Africans getting modern Pentax kit. I have that same lens, and the K-5 greatly improves the useability due to its ability at high ISO which makes it possible to keep Tv fast and still stop down Av for improved image quality.

Last edited by KevinR; 02-19-2012 at 04:14 AM.
02-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome. You would be much better off to use extension tubes with a short prime, as you'll get much better magnification. If you mean a teleconverter, then yes you could use that with it.