Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #1

Remote shooting

I have had my K5 for a bit over one month and am loving it.

I'm still working my way through all the functions but have been using it and been very impressed.

However, and there always seems to be a 'however', neither my cable remote nor my IR remote seem to work, and they were both fine on the K20D.

The only remote function enabling I can find is with the 4 way controller.

OK, I suspect I'm having a 'Senior's Moment' and missing something simple, but crucial.

Any help welcomed.

Thanks

Kevin

02-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The cable remote should just work. The IR needs to be turned on as you are doing. Page 148 of the manual.

Not certain if this would be the case, but you have to turn on autofocus by remote in the custom menu. If it is off, and out of focus, and it is set to shoot only if in focus, maybe that is the issue.

Otherwise, check batteries, which I'm certain you have already done.
02-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote

I'm still working my way through all the functions but have been using it and been very impressed.

However, and there always seems to be a 'however', neither my cable remote nor my IR remote seem to work, and they were both fine on the K20D.

OK, I suspect I'm having a 'Senior's Moment' and missing something simple, but crucial.

Any help welcomed.

Thanks

Kevin
I use the wireless remote regularly. It's active if the blinking red light is on. Push the top buttonon the 4 way, and chose the remote
on the list... and you get a choice of immediate, 3 second delay, or continiouis shooting. I use the same remote I used on the K10.

the only thing I"ve noticed is thatif the camera has timed out and shut itself off-- the wireless remote won't wake it up.

I found this out after hiding out waiting for a bird to showup.... when the bird finally came... the camera had shut down......
02-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote

Any help welcomed.

Thanks

Kevin
I use the same (wireless remote) cable release on both my K-5 and my K200D and you should certainly be able to do the same. This is just "another way of pressing the shutter release" and no special menu settings should be required. Obviously, I cannot say for sure, but perhaps you have a warranty issue here???

02-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they both have dead batteries.

The generic ones are so cheap that I'll just get another.
02-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
Got a new cable release today and all is now working fine.

Thanks for the help.