Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Highlight Correction-on for K5?

I'm still setting up my new toy! I read in dpreview review that it was a good idea to set the Highlight Correction to On in the K5. Has anyone done this? Is it a good idea? Any downside?
Thanks!

02-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It can limit your dynamic range in expense of saving some highlight detail on your JPEG captures. Generally I'd suggest leaving it off unless you have a specific application where it would be beneficial for your photo. I still prefer shooting in RAW and pulling highlights back in PP.
02-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Normally you should keep it off. When contrast is very high and you will certainly blow the highlights, then this setting is useful along with shooting in RAW format to recover most (if not all) your highlights. Essentially underexposes the image to preserver the highlights and then boosts the shadows to maintain a correct exposure.

In those high contrast situations you could also use the in-camera HDR (jpeg only though) or bracket the exposure using a tripod and do HRD in post processing. Depending on the scene and the amount of HDR, the image may look fine or may look strangely unnatural.
02-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Downside is that you will then have a minimum ISO of 160. I like to use the lowest possible ISO, preferably 80, so I rather set the EV to -.7 or so, to prevent blowing highlights.

02-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
Than you! This really helps. I tinkered with my K7 for 2 years and think I over did it.. Eventually reverted to factory settings and just tweaked a few of the obvious ones. Love this forum!!