Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax K5 focusing

Hello all,

I have Pentax K5 camera with a PENTAX DA 18-135MM F3.5-5.6 ED WR lens. Accidentally, I rotated focusing ring few times while the lens was attached to the camera and camera setting was on Auto focus mode. I read few posts and realized that it could damage the camera and lens, I just wanted to know what type of damage it could do to my camera and lens. And at what extent it could do the damage. Thanks for your time and consideration. Reply appreciated in advance.

thanks,
Utkarsh

02-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This particular lens is designed to support that (Pentax calls it Quick Shift focusing), so it won't cause any damage at all. The only time you DON'T want to use quick shift with your lens is when the lens motor is actually moving.

The issue others are alluding to is when you try moving the focusing ring of a non-quick-shift screwdrive AF lens when the axle is connected to the camera. This not only strains the mechanism in the lens, but could also damage the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks a lot Adam. I really appreciate your quick reply
Utkarsh
02-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #4

Yep couldn't live without it now ;-)