Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

Wireless Sutter with TV Remote

Hi,

I picked up a K-5 on Feb. 1st, and tonight I thought I would try to trigger the shutter remotely using a TV remote. I have an RCA SystemLink 3. With this remote you can search for a compatible control code. Basically, you press the on-off button till the unit turns off, or in this case till the shutter trips. After about a dozen power clicks the shutter tripped. The codes for this remote are:

TV: 092
VCR: 166

I found the front sensor range to be about 20 ft (indoors). This remote isn't as small as the Pentax one, but it was free and is not easily lost.

Paul

02-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. Yes, many IR remotes work just fine tripping the shutter. Now, go in and set the menu settings to allow the IR remote to focus the camera too and see if you can find that setting for the remote - good luck
02-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Free is a very good price. If you are OK with carrying a remote that size in your camera bag, you got a deal. Batteries should be easy to find for it as well. Probably takes AAA or AA batteries, easy to find on vacation. The little coin size battery for the Pentax remote is hard to find in the Caribbean.
02-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
Wireless Shutter with TV Remote

I was unaware of the auto-focus control. Yes, that works too. Volume and Channel Up will take the picture, Down will focus. I doubt I will use this feature often, perhaps for night skies and group photos that I wish to be part of. I am enjoying the learning process. Very pleased with this camera.