Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New or Not?

I recently picked up an additional K5 from a legit Pentax retailer. The camera was sold as new (serial 415XXXX) and shipped to me.

I have purchased 12 Pentax DSLR's since they started manufacturing DSLR's. In every case I would open the box and set the cameras settings for Language, Date and Time/Location. This camera had the date, time, local and language already set. Is this the new norm or is this a possible re-stock or returned to shelf item?

Sharing your experience or knowledge on this issue would be appreciated.

Stephen

02-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would guess this is a return item by some doing try-and-buy or a demo unit. I hate to say this is not 'new' as I will not trust the retailers with generous return policy.
02-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Doesn't sound new to me. My K-5 was purchased on CyberMonday and I had to set all the items you listed. What's the shutter count?
02-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Sounds like it's a returned item as Pentax does not know where you are or what time it is there. Although as a consumer I appreciate stores that have a liberal return policy, as a CS manager I hate them :-)

02-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I would guess this is a return item by some doing try-and-buy or a demo unit. .
I'll check the shuttercount tonight if I can figure out how to execute... what is it .... Photo Me?

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Doesn't sound new to me. My K-5 was purchased on CyberMonday and I had to set all the items you listed. What's the shutter count?
Glad to know that I am not alone in thinking "I" should be setting all the parameters when opening up a new box.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Sounds like it's a returned item as Pentax does not know where you are or what time it is there. Although as a consumer I appreciate stores that have a liberal return policy, as a CS manager I hate them :-)
I must concur. I will have to consider whether or not to return it after finishing a thorough test drive.

I did call Pentax CS in Colorado on this today and they said they don't see it as a problem? Hmmm! I wonder if other K5 purchasers over the past few weeks care to let me know whether or not their SETTINGS were SET or whether they had to set them. Thanks everyone.
02-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #6

I bought a K-5 body from buydig on 2-2-12. It arrived on the 8th and was fresh as can be. I had to set all the time/date etc. I fear yours has been sold before and returned.
02-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Reputable resellers like B&H always sell returns as used items. Stick with reputable resellers!

02-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bonjonno Quote
I bought a K-5 body from buydig on 2-2-12. It arrived on the 8th and was fresh as can be. I had to set all the time/date etc. I fear yours has been sold before and returned.
Thanks for the feedback.

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
Reputable resellers like B&H always sell returns as used items. Stick with reputable resellers!
True. 80 percent of my gear has been purchased thru b&h over the past 30 years and they are a quality org. I have never had problems elsewhere either. This is the first questionable transaction I have encountered. Not a lost cause.... But an onion that needs a little more peeling. The original seller has been contacted and claims Pentax sent them in and he sold them as offered from Pentax. He said he would gladly exchange if i request such.
02-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE:

I just did a shutter count as per this forum. 72 clicks which corresponds to what I have taken. I thought that there should have been a couple hundred as per testing at the factory.

Date of manufacturing 8-10-11.

I am assuming that the shutter count cannot be reset. Correct or wrong assumption on my part?

Thanks

Stephen

Additionally, Pentax USA says that
02-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The shutter count on my new k-5 was 0. I used "photome" to check the shuttercount, which was '1' when I took the first shot. I bought mine in November last year and serial # starts with 417xxxx.
02-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The shutter count on my new k-5 was 0. I used "photome" to check the shuttercount, which was '1' when I took the first shot. I bought mine in November last year and serial # starts with 417xxxx.
Thanks.... apparently the camera is new as my testing accounted for all the shutter count #'s.

Stephen
02-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
UPDATE:

I just did a shutter count as per this forum. 72 clicks which corresponds to what I have taken. I thought that there should have been a couple hundred as per testing at the factory.

Date of manufacturing 8-10-11.

I am assuming that the shutter count cannot be reset. Correct or wrong assumption on my part?

Thanks

Stephen

Additionally, Pentax USA says that
I think all new K5s nw sart with "0". When I bougt mie, I had to set up everything and it started with "0". Jut make sure that your SD card has bee formated by anther camera before you place it in the K5 or it will contine from where the card has other photos in it.
02-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I bought my K-5 knowing it was a return item; it was set to Chicago time and had a whoppin' 52 actuations before my first click. I paid a great price for a barely-touched item, and am more than satisfied with the results - but knowing in advance of its history was a good thing. I know what you mean though, I've had 'new' Pentax cameras with a hundred or more pre-sale clicks on them. I have wondered if mine was re-sold after a stain event - it's under warranty regardless, and thus far no issues (other than user error).
02-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
I think all new K5s nw sart with "0". When I bougt mie, I had to set up everything and it started with "0". Jut make sure that your SD card has bee formated by anther camera before you place it in the K5 or it will contine from where the card has other photos in it.
Aren't you confusing file numbering with shutter counts?
02-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
This camera had the date, time, local and language already set. Is this the new norm or is this a possible re-stock or returned to shelf item?

Stephen
The OP's original question was: date/time/local/language already set? The answer is "no" if it is brand new... and you have to set it.