Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Stubborn dust

I've got this stubborn dust on my camera on the bottom right hand corner of the image that wont go away! Tried to use dust removal so many times, still there, used rocket blower, still there, tried a wet sensor clean ( a few times), still there, I haven't tried brushing it out yet, still waiting for the brush to arrive. anyone got suggestions? Would o-ick1 help?

I'm always so careful changing lenses too, always pointing it down changing them fast and making sure I'm indoors in a decent area, don't know why I always get dusts

02-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry for the question but at first I didn't realize that the sensor is flipped from what you see on the image - have you focused your efforts on the correct section of the sensor?
02-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The pentax lollipop stick (i believe that the one you call oick) is good at getting most things out, but i do have trouble with edges and corners with it. I do use the eclipse wet system for anything the lollipop can't remove with food success.
02-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #4

For stuck on dust in a corner of the sensor I would try wet cleaning with a "Corner Swab" from Visible Dust.

Pentax O-ICK1 stick doesn't work well for stubborn dust molts/stains---Excellent for normal and weak stuck-on dust which is what you will have most of the time.

After "Rocket Blowing" the dust off my sensor I got dust on my VF focus screen and had to remove and clean it. So I don't do that again and blow dust all over the inside of my camera I only use Pentax O-ICK1 stick & Sensor loupe. For a really stuck on dust molt I used VDust Plus cleaner/1.6x orange swab & sensor loupe. You should use VDust Plus cleaner with the Visible Dust corner swab "if whatever else you are doing doesn't work".

Use only high quality wet cleaning solutions because they have the most effective cleaning and anti- dust/static/streaking/fogging agents. If you have a very stubborn dust molt/stain you may need more then just a general purpose sensor cleaner. Visible Dust has these and I am sure others do to. Read product description to understand cleaner application.

Last edited by jcp5; 02-25-2012 at 04:28 AM.
02-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I know its flipped. There were many other dusts there before, theyre all gone now besides that one stubborn little dust at the very low right corner. Its very near the edge so easy to crop but still annoying knowing that its there. I can't justify buying the corner swab for now so I'll just leave it and crop the area, its only visible at f11+ anyway.
02-23-2012, 12:39 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter

Hi

If you are confronted with crap on you sensor that is seemingly unwilling to be shifted with a wet cleaning procedure it may just simply be a case that the wrong cleaning agent (fluid) is used.

Consider this:

In simple chemistry terms the solubility of a substance is determent by its so-called polarity. Molecules with many polar bonds are soluble in polar solvents. Molecules with none or few polar bonds are soluble in non-polar solvent.

Polar substances for example are water, alcohol or ether. Methanol/Ethanol/Propanol (which are the most common sensor cleaning fluids) are none polar. (I hope I remember this correctly) This simply means that none polar substances can't be solved with polar fluids and vickie versa.

So, not knowing the makeup of the crap on you sensor, you may have to try to solve the problem (pun not intended) by using or experimenting with different fluids.

It seems that your attempt at removing the crap with the none polar fluid was unsuccessful because the crap could be of polar nature. Since water is polar I would get some distilled water, moisten liberally (without dripping) a swipe with it, target the crap, hold the swipe over it for a while to give it a chance to soften and then wipe it off with a gentle swipe. Distilled water will not harm your sensor! (As long as you don't drown it). You can do this several times until everything is clear (Use a new swipe every time) and the distilled water won't leave marks on the AA Filter. Distilled water will still have traces of Magnesium, Calium, Calcium, Chloride, Sulphate, Phosphate in it but they are of such minute level not to be of importance.

I use 98% pure Ethanol which I buy from the chemist for a Dollar. 100% Ethanol is not possible and the 2% is just water. In fact an open Ethanol bottle will absorb further water from the ambient air. No problems here as the extra "polar water" will help in removing polar crap from the sensor and it also makes it slower evaporating which further helps the cleaning process. In fact I add a wee drop of distilled water to the Ethanol for this purpose.

Good luck. (Actually you don't need luck, as sensor cleaning is a simple task only made important and dangerous sounding by Co's who want to sell you cheap stuff at 2000% inflated prices.)

Greetings
02-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow, that's very helpful, thanks. I will try those.
02-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Could You give some examples, to get the idea howserious your problem is??

02-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Its not very serious, its on the extreme left towards the bottom.
I've attached a resized file (I can't upload larger files) but you can see it at the size it is in. Easily croppable, but annoying since I know its there
Attached Images

02-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Hi

It would have been nice to look at the crap at a 100% crop in full resolution, this way one can better see the what it might be.

Still I have enlarged your image a bit and one can clearly see a "halo" around the dark spot. This indicates to me that the offending matter is, with great certainty, of some organic matter. Like pollen, skin flake, spittle perhaps even. (You didn't blow into the camera by mouth, did you?) or similar. Why am I saying this ? Well, organic matter over time will react with humidity and the greater the humidity, as in cold then warm conditions or the tropics the more this will develop into a problem.

For example, if you are taking your cam to the tropics and you stay in an airconditioned hotel, when you come out of the hotel and enter the tropics with near 100% humidity within seconds you can observe the cam building up a sweat. Inside the cam the sensor will be covered with a fine layer of condensation also. Imagine what will happen to a piece of pollen which is stuck on the sensor, if the humidly on the sensor would go on long enough you could probably observe the pollen spouting roots. Just jesting, but I think you get the idea.

The organic crap under these conditions will, for want of better description, ferment and "weld" itself on to the AA filter surface. When this happens organic crap will leach out certain matter manifesting itself into that halo. And the longer the crap stays there (people are scared of sensor cleaning and just clone them out, don't they) the harder it is to remove it. (As in your case)

So I would carefully try to remove the crap with a bit of distilled water as explained above. And in future remove dust more frequently. I do this quite often by using a very fine soft 8-10mm Nylon brush which you can by cheaply from an artist supply shop. Just make sure it is one that is not sized. The Nylon brush will hold a very weak static charge which will bind the dust. Once used flick the bristles sharply over the edge of a pencil (or any other clean edge) the remove the dust it has just picked up and you are ready to again.

DO NOT USE a blower ! All a blower does is to blow the dust from one place to another inside your mirror chamber only to come back by virtue of mirror slap turbulence. There is also a great danger to blow dust from the sensor on to the mirror. Not a good idea.

Greetings
02-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I havent blown into it at all but since its quite stubborn it is likely to be organic. I'm going to try using destilled water first. But just to make it clear, what I'm suppose to do is use a sensor wand, wrap it in pec pad and instead of using eclipse on it I will use the destilled water is this correct?
02-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Progress report:
THAT SPOT IS GONE! I used distilled water with the last of my pec pad (I only had one left was waiting for others to arrive but I couldn't wait to try distilled water) and its gone now. The only thing left are those tiny ones that move around with the blower, the arctic butterfly brush I ordered will arrive soon and it should hopefully get rid of them!
02-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThonasDay Quote
use a sensor wand, wrap it in pec pad and instead of using eclipse on it I will use the destilled water is this correct?
Hi

Before you start as a safeguard brush down the sensor first with the soft Nylon brush. This ensures there is no grit on it.

Prepare several sensor wands with a piece of pec pad wrapped around it.

Take an evryday cotton bud (there are good quality buds around that don't shed too many fibres) soak it in distilled water so it is well wet but NOT dripping. Once you have located the spot with the crap gently lower the bud over it and hold it there for a while. You can assert a bit of pressure but not enough to squeeze water out of the bud.

You don't want water running into the gap past the sensor edge. This should not be possible if the bud is wet but not laden with water. If you are worried about this you can practice this on a CD first. It will indicate very quickly if you have too much water in the bud.

Hold the bud for some thirty seconds. This will be time enough to soften the crap. Don't swipe ore wipe the bud, just hold it there. By doing this there is very little chance for fibres to come loose or smudging the crap. Immediately after removing the bud from the spot gently but with just a bit of downward pressure wipe the dry pec pad from the centre of the sensor past the point of the crap in one steady "draft".

It is important that you only wipe ONCE because if the pec pad has picked up the soft crap it will be now on the pad and repeating the wipe with it will only smear it into a new location.

Repeat this procedure with a NEW set of bud/pads several times. If you are worried that you may leave fluff behind, this is not a problem. Just as the final step, if at all necessary, use the Nylon brush to wipe them off.

If you find you had no success with the water, then repeat this procedure with Ethanol. (buy some from a chemist). One or the other will work I m sure.

Finally, don't get uptight about the whole thing. These sensors (and the whole assembly) certainly are delicate creations, BUT also please understand that they are user serviceable parts. Manufacturers know this and build the sensors full well knowing that they will have to be cleaned. They also know that someone will have to clean them and in the case of having them serviced by a repair or camera shop, manufacturers are fully aware that so called professional people many times are no better then the owner of the cam who will want to do it him/herself. So sensors and sensor assemblies are build with this in mind otherwise no service centre would even contemplate taking on such a job in the first place.

Finally, what I write here is not theoretical knowledge. I have cleaned many many sensors, my own and others. When I say many, I mean many. I have never walked away without total success, and I have never yet ruined a sensor. I have performed many wet cleans on other peoples sensors, but not my own. Because I brush down my sensor after many lens changes routinely so dirt has no chance to get a hold. Some people say brushing down a sensor will scratch it. What nonsense. I brush off dust from the front glass of a lens with a soft lens brush often enough without damaging it. And the lens glass is infinitely softer than the sensor surface.

Greetings
02-24-2012, 04:03 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Your success report and my post have crossed each other. But I am thrilled you had success.

Greetings