Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyrodgers Quote
I did check for sensor stain shortly after I bought the camera and I was fairly sure I had it - i.e. small rather reddish dots which showed above about F16 or so, but not at larger apertures.
maybe that was a dead pixel? there is some kind of allowed amount of them which is not considered a defect.

there is a menu command somewhere, 'map pixels' or something like that - it removes those dead pixels so they dont' appear on the shots any longer.

02-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi PeterF, there are a number of ways of looking at the exif information in a photograph - many graphics software packages do this. I also use "exiftool" ExifTool by Phil Harvey which I run on a linux desktop - there are windows & mac versions available too. If you post on Flickr it will also display exif...
02-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #33
Forum Member

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I downloaded both of the recommended programs and I now have the information on shutter count that I needed. I can see that I am really going to enjoy being a part of this forum.
02-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #34

I just purchased a K-5 body and the serial begins with a 418, I should be clear from the staining issue, right?

02-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #35

Original Poster
Check the serial number

The shutter count is not really an indicator of sensor staining. Only early serial numbers (starting 38... 39....) seemed to have this problem. You can check the K-5 serial number database at Pentax K-5 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
03-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #36

So using the tool on the PF site to check the shutter count and manufacture date, my details are:

Camera PENTAX K-5
Manufature Date 2011:07:31
Shutter Count 1

That should be well out of the sensor staining batches, right?
03-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Munki Quote
So using the tool on the PF site to check the shutter count and manufacture date, my details are:

Camera PENTAX K-5
Manufature Date 2011:07:31
Shutter Count 1

That should be well out of the sensor staining batches, right?
More of the serial number than the shutter count. Shutter count is used for checking the number of shutters that you have pressed on the K5 or any camera.

New batches of K5 should not have the stain issues.

03-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
More of the serial number than the shutter count. Shutter count is used for checking the number of shutters that you have pressed on the K5 or any camera.

New batches of K5 should not have the stain issues.
I was more hinting the manufacturing date of the unit as a point for the sensor stain issue. The shutter count was only for the benefit of this thread's topic.

My previous message was regarding my serial number (I was at work and didn't have any lenses to test out, so I had to wait til I got home to use the exif tool). The serial begins with 418xxxx.

I think someone said before that the old ones beginning with 38 and 39 were the ones which were affected?
03-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #39
Forum Member

I think you are right about the serial number range for the stains. Mine is a 417xxxx and its sensor is fine.
03-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Munki Quote
I was more hinting the manufacturing date of the unit as a point for the sensor stain issue. The shutter count was only for the benefit of this thread's topic.

My previous message was regarding my serial number (I was at work and didn't have any lenses to test out, so I had to wait til I got home to use the exif tool). The serial begins with 418xxxx.

I think someone said before that the old ones beginning with 38 and 39 were the ones which were affected?
I believe K5s manufactured in 2011 should be free of the stains. These were an issue when the K5s were first sold in 2010.
03-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #41

They've actually recently caught major retailers here doing that, dcshooter. It's technically illegal, if I recall correctly.

To add context to the K-5 though, mine wasn't shrink wrapped, and I don't think they usually are? So how would you know for sure?

Edit:

QuoteOriginally posted by JimDickinson Quote
I think you are right about the serial number range for the stains. Mine is a 417xxxx and its sensor is fine.
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
I believe K5s manufactured in 2011 should be free of the stains. These were an issue when the K5s were first sold in 2010.
Thanks for the confirmation guys.

Last edited by Munki; 03-01-2012 at 05:58 AM.
03-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Did you put in a used memory card from another camera?

Mickey
03-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #43

Original Poster
Yes I did, but formatted before using. However the camera shutter count is stored somewhere (?) in the camera firmware and shouldn't be affected by memory cards.

I've seen those references to Australian retailers illegally selling used goods as new, which is one of the reasons I decided to take this (refurbished?) K5 back and ask for a new one.

However it is taking a LONG time - well over a week already. The delay seems to be with the Pentax distributors (CR Kennedy) who are yet to respond. I'm hoping I don't have to take it the next stage (i.e. a formal complaint to NSW Fair Trading) but if they delay much longer I will have to do that...
03-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyrodgers Quote
However it is taking a LONG time - well over a week already. The delay seems to be with the Pentax distributors (CR Kennedy) who are yet to respond. I'm hoping I don't have to take it the next stage (i.e. a formal complaint to NSW Fair Trading) but if they delay much longer I will have to do that...
Hi

If you not have done so already, put your case in writing to the retailer (e-mail will do these days) with a copy to CR Kennedy and ask for confirmation by return.

Make a strong case but please stay polite and factual and don't immediately threaten with action. There is plenty of time for threats at a much later stage.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 03-04-2012 at 03:51 AM.
03-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #45

Original Poster
Yes I notified the retailer by polite email with the full details (including sample exif data, etc) asking for a replacement new camera. I didn't Cc: the email to CR Kennedy, but the retailer has. The retailer has also spoken to CR Kennedy & made the case for a replacement camera. That was about a week ago, but we have heard nothing back. I've made no threats yet (although the temptation grows each day this drags on :-)