Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as I recall the problem with the nikon lens' loose fit is that it is not locked in place when mounted (hence may accidentally jiggle, unscrew, and fall off.

If that's so, it can be fixed by notching the lens base in the right position for the pentax's locking pin to lock the lens to the mount.

02-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't see what the problem is. Chisels are even cheaper than lenses actually made to fit a Pentax.
02-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I have used a couple of pre-AI Nikon lenses on Pentax digital bodies -- it is just a matter of figuring the correct rotation (the lens probably won't end up completely right-side up). It probably won't "lock in", but some have reported that it will on some lenses. Basically you just stick it into the bayonet at a point that works and turn it just slightly to give it a friction fit. You can focus to infinity and all works fine. I did this with a Nikkor-S 50/1.4 and a Nikkor-N 24/2.8. The 50 worked pretty easily, the 24 was more of a challenge with its big protruding rear element and it ended up putting some friction on the aperture ring itself so it was tough turning it without being in danger of spinning the lens right off the mount. On the lenses I tried the aperture would stop down with the ring so you'd meter like with an m42 -- I can't remember whether that is because the mounting would push the lever and hold it and because it didn't push the lever. But I didn't have to do anything special to get the aperture to work.

But in any case, no damage to the lens or the camera either way as long as you are careful and don't force anything into a place it isn't going to go and make note of what it protruding from the back of the lens -- there are some contacts in the digital bodies that aren't on older film Pentax models. But I don't think there is any big reason to be scared of trying it, but it is a bit of a hassle, and it may not work for all pre-AI lenses. So it definitely can be done at least with some lenses, but given all the great old glass that is available in m42 or k-mount, I wouldn't bother except for a very nice lens (like a 1.2!). Don't buy anything you can't sell for the same price or better in case it doesn't work out. By the way, one of those lenses actually would not mount onto a K1000 but would mount on the digital body -- something was in the way on the K1000 (lens release button probably -- can't remember).

Last edited by vonBaloney; 02-24-2012 at 08:45 AM.
02-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as I recall the problem with the nikon lens' loose fit is that it is not locked in place when mounted (hence may accidentally jiggle, unscrew, and fall off.

If that's so, it can be fixed by notching the lens base in the right position for the pentax's locking pin to lock the lens to the mount.
Exactly right. With a standard PK lens, the lens' bayonet flags and the camera mount lugs have about 15mm overlap. With a pre-AI lens, the overlap is about 10mm. And the lens can be secured by cutting a notch (about 1.5mm wide and deep and 5mm long) or drilling a hole (about 1.5mm diameter) for the PK mount's lens-lock pin to engage. I've done this with both pre-AI and AI Nikons, as well as Olympus OM and Yashica C/Y lenses. Haven't lost one yet! AI, OM and C/Y lenses all need a little more dremel work for a good fit, but pre-AI are no problem.

02-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
you're going to end up sooner or later wanting a PK mount 1.2 anyways.
I confirm. You end up searching for PK mount....