Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Very disappointed with K 5 photos

Just got back from vacation in Carribean and WDW. All photos were underexposed. When looking at LR histograms showed a 1 stop underexposure. I rechecked to make sure I did not increase exposure compensation, and I had not! Is this common for the k5?

02-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you dial in exposure compensation to compensate for bright sand, sea etc? I intervene with the default metering of my camera (K7) most of the time (usually adding +0.7 to 1EV). Perhaps if you posted some examples.

Good news is - you haven't clipped any highlights and K5 images are famous for responding well to increasing the brightness in PP.
02-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's always useful to post a sample image with EXIF intact if possible.

A couple of general suggestions:

- you didn't by chance have your AE metering set to something not perhaps appropriate (eg Spot instead of Multi-segment) throughout your holiday?

- were your Custom Image settings (for your in-camera JPG's - p222 of the K-5 manual) unintentionally tweaked to a setting that ensured under-exposure?

- were you routinely using UV or 'protection' filters on your lens(es)? They can interfere with a lot of things, including AE metering.
02-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same goes for manual lenses: some consistently underexpose or overexpose.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

One stop underexposure in a K-5 image can be fixed no problem, doesn't matter if it is jpg or raw.
02-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah. A 1 stop under exposed image is pretty simple to fix. K-5 has excellent DR.
02-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

As a new K-5 user I noticed that too, especially with some (old M) lenses images are usually underexposed. At first I was adding a 0.7 - 1 Ev to the automatic exposure, but then I learned to rather love the rich rendering of slightly underexposed images, and can always correct if need be.

Your image editing software may even have a batch command to add some exposure to the whole bunch as well.

One more note, not sure if it applies to you, something I learned the hard way - I spot meter and shoot with glasses. Now and then I find that I don't center my eye properly with the viewfinder, and what I think is center, is slightly off center, and if you are metering at the junction of sun and shadows for instance, that could make a difference in metering as well.
02-23-2012, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Have a look at the two images here.

Photo Editing Tips

The before shot is just down the page. Just an example of what you can get out of an underexposed shot with the K5.

02-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote

Photo Editing Tips

The before shot is just down the page. Just an example of what you can get out of an underexposed shot with the K5.
Awesome work!
02-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whbroker Quote
Just got back from vacation in Carribean and WDW. All photos were underexposed. When looking at LR histograms showed a 1 stop underexposure. I rechecked to make sure I did not increase exposure compensation, and I had not! Is this common for the k5?
You never checked your images in the camera?
02-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

Even easier to bring out grass and pop the sky

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote

Photo Editing Tips

Interesting article, but he relied on a Topaz plugin for a crucial chunk of recovering the image. I put the little "before" JPG in Picture Window Pro and hit Equalize. That made for a vivid but more realistic sky and brought the grass out from the shadows.
02-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

All photos were underexposed. When looking at LR histograms showed a 1 stop underexposure.
I bet you have Highlight Correction (under D-Range in the menu) turned on. Turn that off, problem solved
02-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chazz5 Quote
Interesting article, but he relied on a Topaz plugin for a crucial chunk of recovering the image
Fair comment, but I don't think it matters what you use. The point of the exercise was to show how much detail can be recovered. There is no way I could have pushed that image that far with my K20.
02-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #14

Be happy.... It's better than overburned.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/175717-overexposure-snow.html
02-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
You never checked your images in the camera?
I did check the histogram on most of my Raw images and it did not look underexposed. That is what surprised me when I saw the LR histogram. My lens was my old standby. Sigma 17-70mm lens