Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well with K-5 and a good portrait lens you can make stellar pictures. For portrait it is important to get you sharpnes where you want it. The K-x has the AF-module from K20D and the disadvantage of not having red dots to see where you focus is.

02-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I'll chime in only to underscore the positive comments. Last year, I upgraded from the K20D to the K-5 and the diff has been huge. I love(d) my K20 and have taken a number of photos with it that have received positive feedback and/or a few $$, but the K-5 makes it pale. As already noted, put some nice Limited glass or one of the zooms (the 50-135 and 60-250 being my top recs) on the K-5 and you'll be in business all day/night. I rented the 50-135 for an indoor event last year and had to shoot at 1600 ISO most of the time; the K-5 rocked and the event organizers were VERY pleased with the results.

Best to you as you work through the decision-making process.
02-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
My responses

Thanks for all your input.
For the ones who say my technique might need some improvement, I have been taking pictures with film cameras for over 25 years. Although thereís always room for improvement, I think I know a bit about focusing.
Thereís not much technique in pressing on a button and letting the camera focus.
My general technique is that I keep the camera on center focus only and try to focus on the eyes if possible, then recompose, and take the shot. This has worked quite well.
True the lighting is not the greatest, and perhaps another format wouldnít be better, hence the question for you guys/girls to give me feedback.
Donís response hit a core in that he actually uses the Nikon and Pentax, so that was very comforting. Thanks!
Hereís my equipment/setup.
I use strobes and a backdrop before the party, to take portraits. Later when the party is under way, I bring the strobes in the ballroom to give me more lighting during dancing, and shoot the dancing as well with a mounted flash and triggers. Even though thereís movement , I find that setting the camera to continuous focusing does not produce good results: again an autofocus issue. In that situation I get a subject on the same plane in focus, and keep it there until the subject comes around where I can get the shot I want.
Getting back to manual focus. I have a few good SMC A lenses, f1.7 50mm & f2.8 35mm prime lenses.
I donít use them because they donít give me good results with this camera as the pictures are not tack sharp, and have no idea why not. Again Iím blaming the k-x, because these lenses gave me beautiful results with my super program.
Those who have mentioned ďa split-screen is a must for meĒ I didnít know thereís such a thing for these cameras as I would love to have that with the newer cameras! The Fresnel screen would even be better!
Please let me know how and if I can get it.
Thanks again for all of your support!
Jake
02-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Type S Canon screen

QuoteOriginally posted by FrumPilot Quote
Those who have mentioned ďa split-screen is a must for meĒ I didnít know thereís such a thing for these cameras as I would love to have that with the newer cameras! The Fresnel screen would even be better!
Please let me know how and if I can get it.
Thanks again for all of your support!
Jake
Like a lot of people I recommend the Type S screens from focussingscreen.com. They are Canon 5D products that have been modified to fit Pentax DSLR's. They don't have split screens or targets. They are essentially better versions of what is in your camera right now. I have heard that split screens affect metering, but I don't know that for sure. I don't see a Type S listed for the K-x, but you could inquire to see if they can make one, and/or check to see if the screen for the K-r fits. I have one in my K-r along with the Pentax ME-053 magnifier. I also have the same items for my K-5 but I haven't installed them yet. I will eventually get around to writing a review for Pentax Forums, but I don't see any downsides except for the expense. They will not only make manual focussing much more fun (and more precise), they help clarify AF'ing, too. In other words, you can better see what the AF focussing module is picking up as its target.

Focusing Screen

Last edited by lammie200; 02-26-2012 at 10:35 AM.
02-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If your sticking with Pentax gear, the K-5 will definitely not disappoint you, but throwing on a FA43 or FA77 Limited, or something like a DA*55 would really bring out that tack sharpness you are looking for.
With the AF fine tune and a focusing screen you should have no problems with accuracy.. and well speed? These are portraits not sports shots.. they are all plenty fast for portraits!
HERE is a link to Katzeye's pentax viewfinders.