Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
..the Op stated that he was thinking of stepping out from a D300s to a K5..what better advice is there from people that have had both..you on he other hand have had neither but seem to get your back up when people that have had both, seem to think that the D300s is a better option than a K5....we aint pentax bashers...just saying what our experiences are pure and simple....we are first and foremost photographers..to be honest I couldnt give a rats what brand I use..as long as it suits my needs and works as advertised..
He already knows Nikon, he wants to know why he should use a K-5. People who have used both and are Nikon users obviously have a bias. A bias this user may not share. Now if there was a Nikon user that had switched to a K-5, that would be the person who has the information that person is asking for, not the ones who chose Nikon. The guy is clearly contemplating a change, of course that's blasphemy to the shrill Nikon users who love their religion so much they can dismiss the things that are good about Pentaxes, deny they exist despite independent research, ignore sensor ratings, ignore focus accuracy ratings, ignore even auto-focus speed ratings where Pentaxes do very well as long as there is enough light.. and make it sound like their systems are some kind of perfection. NO, I don't think somehow he wanted to talk to those guys.

He wanted to know why he should buy a K-5, and if that bothers your sorry little Nikon worshipping asses, tough. To bad so many of you had conniptions. Learn how to present an unbiased view of the facts. Not one Pentaxian came on here and ran down Nikons. You Nikon users need to get some class. I don't spend my time on Nikon sites looking for issues to trash Nikons with. If that's wrong, shoot me.

02-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Norm ..you crack me up mate, seriously

.... when people that have had both, seem to think that the D300s is a better option than a K5....we aint pentax bashers...just saying what our experiences are pure and simple.....
Tommot, you crack up me too mate...

People are certainly entitled to their opinion. You can expect some biased opinion from those who have owned for a long time (D300) over the ones they recently acquired (k-5). Personal experience does not always represent the know how as I have heard so many nikon users trash pttl flash yet many don't even know how to use hot-shoe flash properly (use only auto mode); and many claimed that nikon AF is light years ahead of pentax when in fact when I compare the focus accuracy of their shots (again only use auto focus select) and they were so low. As some Pentax users mentioned, we have the TAv mode which is the one of the best shooting mode in certain situation, I don't know if the D300 has that option. If they are very sincere to express their non-biased opinion and point out the pros and cons, that would be fine. I also have no problem with someone making a personal preference statement based on what they know or experienced, but I respectively disagree with you that they are not pentax basher when they make unsubstantiated statements as if it is the truth.

Last edited by aleonx3; 02-28-2012 at 10:47 AM.
02-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
He already knows Nikon, he wants to know why he should use a K-5. People who have used both and are Nikon users obviously have a bias. A bias this user may not share. Now if there was a Nikon user that had switched to a K-5, that would be the person who has the information that person is asking for, not the ones who chose Nikon. The guy is clearly contemplating a change, of course that's blasphemy to the shrill Nikon users who love their religion so much they can dismiss the things that are good about Pentaxes, deny they exist despite independent research, ignore sensor ratings, ignore focus accuracy ratings, ignore even auto-focus speed ratings where Pentaxes do very well as long as there is enough light.. and make it sound like their systems are some kind of perfection. NO, I don't think somehow he wanted to talk to those guys.

He wanted to know why he should buy a K-5, and if that bothers your sorry little Nikon worshipping asses, tough. To bad so many of you had conniptions. Learn how to present an unbiased view of the facts. Not one Pentaxian came on here and ran down Nikons. You Nikon users need to get some class. I don't spend my time on Nikon sites looking for issues to trash Nikons with. If that's wrong, shoot me.
Here, here. If you want to bash Pentax go do it at Camera-Enthusiast or the forum I will not name (DPxxxxxx)
02-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Here, here. If you want to bash Pentax go do it at Camera-Enthusiast or the forum I will not name (DPxxxxxx)
Aside from some K-01 bashing over on CE (by the same people bashing it here BTW) the one thing i've noticed over there is a lot less gear bashing and more focus on what we all buy the d*mn gear for ......photography (not bragging rights )

02-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Aside from some K-01 bashing over on CE (by the same people bashing it here BTW) the one thing i've noticed over there is a lot less gear bashing and more focus on what we all buy the d*mn gear for ......photography (not bragging rights )
Yeah, I ignore them there too.
02-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

so what your saying is..only post if your pro Pentax K5 and dont give the op any other opinion other than a K5 is the better option...?....

and we have " sorry little Nikon worshipping asses" ...crikey mate you have got the pentax goggles on aint yer mate ...actually I was using my Nieces K7 last night { it was mine} and theres a lot to like about its small fit and quite shutter etc...if my K5s had not had all Af issues that I endured Id still have them...but when I see a post that expresses a need for advice on doing exactly the opposite of what I did..then Im gonna give a opinion...good or bad...so get down off the pentax soapbox..and go look through the countless threads in the K5 forum that show front focus issues, floppy mirriors, buttons falling off etc etc ..the K5 was a great camera..marred by crap QC

why am I still on a pentax forum.. mainly because Im still subscribed to a few threads that I posted in and Im still interested in what Pentax has to offer
02-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Tommot, you crack up me too mate...

People are certainly entitled to their opinion. You can expect some biased opinion from those who have owned for a long time (D300) over the ones they recently acquired (k-5). Personal experience does not always represent the know how as I have heard so many nikon users trash pttl flash yet many don't even know how to use hot-shoe flash properly (use only auto mode); and many claimed that nikon AF is light years ahead of pentax when in fact when I compare the focus accuracy of their shots (again only use auto focus select) and they were so low. As some Pentax users mentioned, we have the TAv mode which is the one of the best shooting mode in certain situation, I don't know if the D300 has that option. If they are very sincere to express their non-biased opinion and point out the pros and cons, that would be fine. I also have no problem with someone making a personal preference statement based on what they know or experienced, but I respectively disagree with you that they are not pentax basher when they make unsubstantiated statements as if it is the truth.
read back through my posts in this thread..you will see that I gave a opinion on why the K5 might be a better option than a D300s and why a D300s was better than a k5 in other areas..so Id say that Id given the Op a pretty decent overview from a user that's owned both.....so if that cracks you up..lovely...

what gets my goat is people like Normhead...who has had neither bodies but jumps on any post that is trying to give a honest opinion as if its hierarchy...my personally experiences have shown me that given a choice..Id not give up a D300s for a K5...and for me that's the truth...others may have a different experience...and good on em for posting it if it helps the op get a even perspective ....best advise to the OP is go try a K5 first..if the latest run have fixed the dodgy AF..then get one..other than that it was a great body

02-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
so what your saying is..only post if your pro Pentax K5 and dont give the op any other opinion other than a K5 is the better option...?....
QuoteQuote:
.so get down off the pentax soapbox..and go look through the countless threads in the K5 forum that show front focus issues, floppy mirriors, buttons falling off etc etc ..the K5 was a great camera..marred by crap QC
ANd of course you've done your research on this and know for a fact that this is relevant issue, as in not an issue experienced by all camera makers? There's 30,000 Pentax users on this forum. If 200 had QC issues that would be something to brag about, but it might seem like a lot to someone like you who had a problem. How is Pentax's QC COMPARED TO OTHER CAMERA MAKERS QC, Because that is the only way that information is any way relevant. And your post is exactly what I'm talking about. You come on this site and mine the issues Pentax owners have, but unless you are doing the same to for other cameras and have some way of accurately saying what it means you don't really have a fair comparison do you? I've had no QC issue with my Pentax gear, two quality control issues with Sigma lenses, and one camera repair paid for by extended warranty, in 10 years with 4 different bodies. So if you want to go on about your perceived Pentax problems fine, you do that. But you think if it's in any way related to some kind of comparative reality on which someone should make purchasing decision you're out of line. It's anecdotal evidence, not science, and if you understood either critical thinking or science, you'd know what I'm talking about, without me having to explain it.

QuoteQuote:
why am I still on a pentax forum.. mainly because Im still subscribed to a few threads that I posted in and Im still interested in what Pentax has to offer
And what does this have to do with that? You're coming on Pentax forums to offer your anecdotal unscientific evidence to people who are interested in buying Pentax product...so you get on my case for asking people who criticize Pentax here to keep those criticisms in perspective. .. you're obviously one of those who dominated the forum for awhile with their tales of woe... sorry things didn't work out for you. But what you're talking about affects very few users. Maybe you need to come to grips with that. Focussing on the woes of a few while ignoring the overall contentment of the majority is anti Pentax propaganda, sounds like you're a perp. Maybe you should spend more times reading threads like https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/176696-after-12-months-i...ighted-k5.html , just to let you know your experience isn't everyone's experience, an then consider the relevance of your experience in the overall scheme of things.

I mean I can understand you're vendetta again Pentax, I'm sure they should have treated you better, but you should be the first to understand your reality was distorted by a bad experience. Let go of it dude, you'll live longer.

QuoteQuote:
if the latest run have fixed the dodgy AF
And we quoted an actual study... people who don't care and don't have a bias, that was done way more recently than the long litany of posts about Pentax AF, that said the Pentax AF was second to none in terms of accuracy, yet you continue to harp on past issues. It's irrelevant... even if Pentax hasn't fixed the issue to the satisfaction of some on here, they are still more accurate than their competition, according to recent research. So why would you not buy a Pentax when the equivalent Nikon or Canon is worse? That is exactly the kind of internal bias I see constantly in these threads. Irrelevant anecdotal information spawned by a few bad experiences , the loud noise of a few complainers drowning out the hundreds of happy users who post on here every day.

But let someone say their thinking of switching, and all the folks like yourself come in and pile it on.

I get along fine with lots of Canon and Nikon users. We don't criticize each others gear, we just admire each other's pictures. Ask any of us about a camera and you'll here "Oh ya ----- gets great pictures with his --------- camera." coming from anyone of us...because really, that's the truth. Not once has one of our discussions fallen into this mindless finger pointing at one brands "perceived" limitations.

Last edited by normhead; 02-28-2012 at 02:39 PM.
02-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What started with a simple question from someone interested to go from the Nikon D300S

I just found this site and I would like to ask for advise about switching from Nikon D300s to Pentax K-5.

turned into getting that same someone upset with some of the replies.

First of all I asked an honest question, I don't work for Nikon! I just had a genuine curiosity about Pentax, I have read awesome things about the K-5.
I thought forums are for this purpose to discuss and see what other people think! I didn't know this site is for the only purpose of the adoration of the Pentax brand.

I don't really blame the guy and I am guessing he will not be back for further "advice".

Food for thoughts!

JP
02-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What started with a simple question from someone interested to go from the Nikon D300S

I just found this site and I would like to ask for advise about switching from Nikon D300s to Pentax K-5.

turned into getting that same someone upset with some of the replies.

First of all I asked an honest question, I don't work for Nikon! I just had a genuine curiosity about Pentax, I have read awesome things about the K-5.
I thought forums are for this purpose to discuss and see what other people think! I didn't know this site is for the only purpose of the adoration of the Pentax brand.

I don't really blame the guy and I am guessing he will not be back for further "advice".

Food for thoughts!

JP
As soon as I saw that I figured he was gone...from the forum for good is my guess. I sent him a message apologizing for the idiocy this place breeds some days and offered an opinion or 2 for consideration. No reply of course and I doubt there will be

If that had been my welcome to the forum I'd leave as fast as I can (sad that he actually missed norms point but without being here to see the history of the place I can see the misunderstanding)
02-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Yes ! Exactly ! its the idiotic fanatical loones that trash a lot of forums.
02-28-2012, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

Everyone hold hands and repeat after me, "I will not scare away the new members. I will not scare away the new members...."
02-28-2012, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

It's sometimes the people on your own "side" that do the most damage. Sheese, people aren't persuaded with long ranting posts defending to the death the honour of what, just a camera brand, a sensor size, a lens? Sometimes it's best to just. let. it. go.
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
It's sometimes the people on your own "side" that do the most damage. Sheese, people aren't persuaded with long ranting posts defending to the death the honour of what, just a camera brand, a sensor size, a lens? Sometimes it's best to just. let. it. go.
I agree, sometimes I wonder how some posts here would look like to an outsider... I bet it's not pretty with all the canon/nikon bashing and fanatical posts.
02-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I agree, sometimes I wonder how some posts here would look like to an outsider... I bet it's not pretty with all the canon/nikon bashing and fanatical posts.
You didn't mention fanatical Pentax bashing posts... your bias is showing. I guess you're right Pentax users should just lie down and take the abuse, after all, any criticism of Pentax is justified. All those Canokon users can't be wrong. Hey we wouldn't want to go on too long and lose the people with short attention spans.. so I'll stop here.

Last edited by normhead; 02-28-2012 at 07:28 PM.