Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #1

New to K5

Howdy...
I'm new to Pentax k5 world (pentax in general) and recent user of Canon. I migrated to Pentax K5 for some good reasons. (see the small body and ruggedness along with very good reviews). I'm just 24 hrs old in learning the new menu etc...I've one specific question about AF and firmware.

1. Can I not select multiple AF points during the "SEL" AF opertation while focussing? I am able to select ONLY one AF point out of 11. If i select, "AUTO" option in AF - still, I am able to see only 1 "RED" dot instead of all the 11 AF points. Is this normal?

2. How do I find the current version of firmware? I want to see if I can update to latest firrmware.

Thanks a ton.

02-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #2

Original Poster
& I'm using 28-105 F2.8-4 Aspherical Sigma lens. (Snagged at 120$ off CL)
02-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax and the K5.

1. AFAIK - Only one AF point can be set at a time.

2. Firmware here:
Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX
02-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah you can only choose one AF point at a time in SEL mode, but you can choose between 5 point and 11 point AF in AUTO mode. Pentax AF is apparently quite a ways behind Canon in their higher end models.

And the firmware number can be found by holding menu whilst you power the camera on (I think)

02-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even cheaper Canons can select multiple AF points, using the A-dep program. But I don't think it is very useful. Easier and more efficient is to use the hyperfocal method.
In pure auto the Canon will blink several AF indicators but I found that distracting actually. I prefer to be certain about what is in focus, than the Canon way.
I think you will also get used to K-5 and come to like it.
02-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You only have 11 spots, why would you need to control more then 1 AF point?

QuoteOriginally posted by didadi Quote
If i select, "AUTO" option in AF - still, I am able to see only 1 "RED" dot instead of all the 11 AF points. Is this normal?
It shows the one that are in focus so as far as i know they can light up but so good as never all will light up because that will mean everything will be in focus and that is very very rare.
02-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you leave it in Auto mode, sometimes but not all the time, you will find more than one focus point selected but only if the DOF allowed. As others suggested, use hyperfocal distance or single AF point for more accurate focus than picking many points.

02-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks guys :-)....Useful. So far I'm liking K5. _ Great body.... ;-)