Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PC Magazine tests K-5

...and finds POOR high ISO performance? Are they nuts?

Pentax K-5 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

02-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm sure they are only looking at JPEGs. The Pentax JPEG engine is not as good as Nikon or Canon. If they look at RAW the K-5 would have been a hands down winner over.
02-27-2012, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Who cares? It's PCMagazine.
02-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

They don't like the K-5's subpar kit lens and poor low light capabilities... They reckon the D300s has better low light noise performance. Wat.

And they mark it down for an underperforming kit lens when the kit lens is VERY highly regarded (and is excellent in my experience).

This makes no sense at all. And the price shown is ridiculous. You can get a K-5 in the UK for around £750 with the kit lens.

Silly reviewers. To be fair, it sounds like it was written a fair while ago, and only released now for some strange reason.

02-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm sure they are only looking at JPEGs. The Pentax JPEG engine is not as good as Nikon or Canon. If they look at RAW the K-5 would have been a hands down winner over.
That must be it - RAW isn't even mentioned in the review. They give the K-r higher marks for high-iso than the K5, but it only gets 3 stars from them as well : Pentax K-r Review & Rating | PCMag.com Well, it's a computer magazine anyway, can't really expect a thorough, in-depth review.
02-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first thing you have to ask when considering a magazine review is "Who are their advertisers?" I bet Canon and Nikon spend more with PCMagazine than Pentax or Olympus.
02-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

PCMagazine is a dinosaur that routinely tells people that the next iteration of Microsoft whatever will be absolutely astounding and with no bugs!

If you believe them about MS products, well then their review of an item outside their scope of skills and ability should also be easy enough to swallow.

02-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #8

The reviewers photography references sum it all.

QuoteQuote:
Jim Fisher is the digital camera analyst for the PCMag consumer electronics reviews team. He is a graduate of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, where he concentrated on documentary video production. Jim's interest in photography really took off when he borrowed his father's Hasselblad 501C and light meter in 2007. He honed his writing skills at B&H Photo, where he wrote thousands upon thousands of product descriptions, as well as the occasional blog post and product review. His father is still waiting for the return of the Hasselblad.
02-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #9

Remember, PCMag = CNET.

Neither group is known for it's intellectual or editorial prowess. Remember when they complained about Sony's "when timing is everything" ad? And, in the process, exposing their ignorance of photographic history and basic reading comprehension? How hard is it to understand an ad, fercrissake?
02-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I reckon that reviewer knows about as much about photography as I know about the courting/mating rituals of a hippopotamus.
02-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
The reviewers photography references sum it all.
Thousands & thousands of product descriptions? Really? Don't manufacturers PR departments (sadly with some notable exceptions) do that for them?

If you want to read more of Mr. Fishers amazing insights into photography and learn at the feet, here is a list of his many Blog posts at B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/insights/search/node/jim%20fisher

He lists his gear as:
Leica M8
Leica M3
Leica CL
Leica 35mm Summilux ASPH
Leica 50mm Summicron Dual Range

No mention of Father's Hassablad...hmmm.....

Last edited by Docrwm; 02-27-2012 at 12:18 PM.
02-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This isn't news or a rumor- it's a review. Moved to the K-5 forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thousands & thousands of product descriptions? Really? Don't manufacturers PR departments (sadly with some notable exceptions) do that for them?

If you want to read more of Mr. Fishers amazing insights into photography and learn at the feet, here is a list of his many Blog posts at B&H
Search | BH Insights

He lists his gear as:
Leica M8
Leica M3
Leica CL
Leica 35mm Summilux ASPH
Leica 50mm Summicron Dual Range

No mention of Father's Hassablad...hmmm.....
I think it's obvious that he pawned the Hassy to buy the Leicas
02-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I think it's obvious that he pawned the Hassy to buy the Leicas
I don't know. I know Hassy's are pricey (like $1500 or so for the Hasselblad 501C ) but he's got like $12k in camera gear according to his list. I didn't realize that B&H gave such a substantial discount to product describers. Wow.
02-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #15

Don't matter what gear he's got or don't got. Bully for him if he shoots with a Hassy, two leicas, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Here's some facts: he complains that the $1200 K-5 (retail srp from Pentaximaging) has worse ISO than the $1600 D300s (SRP from NikonUSA.) Then he compains that the K-5 is too expensive.

It's that kind of muddy, bubble-headed thinking that drove me away from Cnet, PCMag, and Ziff Davis publications in general back in the late 90's.