Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Are there any updates here? I am currently going through this same awful dilemma. In any case, these issues are driving me to a K-5, but I just cannot spend $1,400 on a camera/grip/lens purchase. I am thus interested in using a K-5 with some M and A series lenses, but the price seems too high. Perhaps I should consider the "cost" of all my frustration here? I welcome your comments.
I sympathize. After shooting manual-everything film for 50 years, I also found digitals and dSLRs unappealing for the same reasons. Pentax does at least let me use my -M lenses. I don't find the focus indicators accurate enough for fast lenses, but the high-ISO capability and shake-reduction means you don't need the lens speed as much as with film. The K-5 viewfinder is a disappointment compared to an MX or LX, or even the older SV & Spotmatic.
That's where the full-frame dSLRs have an advantage, as they still have larger viewfinders. If Pentax would cram a FF finder in the K-5 replacement I'd give it a try.
I was fortunate to be able to get a Leica M9 with my retirement bonus. It is the one digital that works exactly like my old film (rangefinder) cameras. I use it 90% of the time for digital, and my K-5 for the other 10% where long lenses are needed. The K-5 is about as nice as you'll find for a dSLR in its price range; and it's not likely anyone will make an "all manual" dSLR.