Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,149
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Are there any updates here? I am currently going through this same awful dilemma. In any case, these issues are driving me to a K-5, but I just cannot spend $1,400 on a camera/grip/lens purchase. I am thus interested in using a K-5 with some M and A series lenses, but the price seems too high. Perhaps I should consider the "cost" of all my frustration here? I welcome your comments.
I sympathize. After shooting manual-everything film for 50 years, I also found digitals and dSLRs unappealing for the same reasons. Pentax does at least let me use my -M lenses. I don't find the focus indicators accurate enough for fast lenses, but the high-ISO capability and shake-reduction means you don't need the lens speed as much as with film. The K-5 viewfinder is a disappointment compared to an MX or LX, or even the older SV & Spotmatic.
That's where the full-frame dSLRs have an advantage, as they still have larger viewfinders. If Pentax would cram a FF finder in the K-5 replacement I'd give it a try.
I was fortunate to be able to get a Leica M9 with my retirement bonus. It is the one digital that works exactly like my old film (rangefinder) cameras. I use it 90% of the time for digital, and my K-5 for the other 10% where long lenses are needed. The K-5 is about as nice as you'll find for a dSLR in its price range; and it's not likely anyone will make an "all manual" dSLR.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, focus, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, lcd, lens, pentax k-5, screen, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why no Pentax Manual focusing screen options? Docrwm Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 8 02-14-2012 08:33 AM
K-7 focusing problems fikkser Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 10-16-2010 01:08 AM
focusing problems on k-x markjbamber Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 08-17-2010 01:36 AM
Focusing problems with a Pentax-M 40mm f/2.8!!! AndersPS Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 04-25-2010 10:02 PM
Pentax-M f1.4 50mm on a K20D focusing problems CraneGuy1 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 08-30-2009 05:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top